• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A character/paragraph style question

Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I stop very annoying line breaks like the first one in this list?

Screenshot 2017-01-08 12.33.48.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Hi Marie,

The problem is caused by the fixed en space after "brass:". Because Indesign won't break a line after such a space, you have to either replace it with a normal variable space (with the spacebar), or you need to put a shift-return after the colon and remove the space.

Unless someone has a better idea ...

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select •antique brass: and under the options menu of the Character panel, select "No Break." You can also save "No Break" as part of a Character Style to apply it wherever you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and that was the better idea!

Thanks Jeff 🙂

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie,

The problem is caused by the fixed en space after "brass:". Because Indesign won't break a line after such a space, you have to either replace it with a normal variable space (with the spacebar), or you need to put a shift-return after the colon and remove the space.

Unless someone has a better idea ...

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now I have to keep the en space - there is a bit of formatting code that depends on it and I lack the courage to try to change it. Could I do I a find/change and add something after each en space  than InDesign will break on? What is the code/character for a variable space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Duh! ^> then hit the space bar! It works, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines