• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can an Acrobat serial number get highjacked by opening a PDF from another person?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can an Acrobat serial number get highjacked by opening a PDF from another person?

I received a PDF from an unknown person that I had to open to complete an assignment. But Acrobat began acting very strangely when I opened it. I've had it 3 years and it's never behaved this way before. Once it was open, a minute or so later, an Adobe pop up requesting my serial number came up. I closed it. Then it did it again, I closed the document and the program. I then tried to go back into Acrobat and the program itself wouldn't open only the dialog box to input my serial number. I then had to go and search for my serial number to put in before I could open the program again.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Mine has never done that before in three years. Seems quite odd to me that it just demanded my serial number before I could use it. Keep in mind I use it almost daily, if not daily with my work.

Just very odd. Thanks for your assistance in advance!

C

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Never heard of this happening. You should of course keep your Acrobat DC up to date because there are malware/virus threats that have attacked through PDF files, and Adobe have made fixes. On no account stay with old versions!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never heard of this happening. You should of course keep your Acrobat DC up to date because there are malware/virus threats that have attacked through PDF files, and Adobe have made fixes. On no account stay with old versions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. I currently use 11.0. Will check for any updates to ensure it is.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of the dialog box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,

Unfortunately, I didn't take a screen shot of it. Wait, I think I may have at some point. Let me check and see if I did I'll post it. If not, here is what was there, let's say you have completed a trial with Acrobat. Your trial has ended, and it no longer allows you to use the program, but you will now get the Adobe pop up that requests that you enter your serial number to continue using the program. It was the official Adobe box for inputting your serial number after purchase. If you know this box it was the same one. checking now ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it probably has nothing to do with your opening of the file you mentioned. My concern was that it wasn't coming from Adobe, but it sounds like it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

George, yes it was the official Adobe dialogs. Thanks for your responses, this makes me feel a bit better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George, I didn't screen shot it unfortunately.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines