• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Second computer opens Lightroom 6 Catalog irregardless of .lock file

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 6 Installed and activated on 2 computers. My Catalog is stored on both computers and synced via our central NAS.

After opening a Catalog on 1 computer a .lock file is created and via the sync stored on both computers. When opening the same Catalog on the other computer while it is still open on the first computer, Lightroom opens that Catalog without any warning or error.

Can anyone explain why Lightroom allows opening the Catalog on the second computer even though the lock file is there as well?

I seem to understand from other discussions that this is not the case with other Users who do the Catalog syncing via Dropbox.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

I assume the .lock file refers to a specific catalog file at a specific location.

So if the catalog is stored locally as two separate instances, it should still open, and the .lock file doesn't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the .lock file refers to a specific catalog file at a specific location.

So if the catalog is stored locally as two separate instances, it should still open, and the .lock file doesn't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this on my Windows 7 system with LR CC 2015.8 by copying the lock file to desktop, closing LR, and pasting the Lightroom CC Catalog.lrcat.lock file back to LR Catalog folder. LR relaunches with no issues and over-writes the original Lightroom CC Catalog.lrcat.lock with a newer date/time version. Just to be clear this is using one (1) system only.

Here's what the lock file shows in Notepad:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe

The 4-digit number changes each time LR is relaunched, but there's nothing else in the lock file I can see. LR should NOT launch if a lock file is present. Perhaps there is some code that records successful program closure (no pending catalog database updates) and ignores the lock file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late answer, but thanks for your testing.

Since this is the first time I post something on an Adobe forum, I have another question which you can hopefully answer:

although I created the screen name 'frabet', I see in this conversation our real account name. What name do you see ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We only see the screen name "frabet". Your real name is only visible to yourself, when you are logged in.

Yeah, this has caused a lot of confusion for a lot of people, but don't worry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines