Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing a multi-level list with different styles

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can anyone help me with how to hinder the style of each level in an imported multi-level list becoming the one and same paragraph-style in InDesign?

I'm currently making a template, that imports the text from a Microsoft Office Word document, in which there is a multi-level list. But I need to keep the style of each level different, e.g. 1 level = 1. Text (with a blue background and bold text), 2 level = 1.1 Text (no background and regular text). When I import the word document, the style for the multi-level list becomes one and the same.

I know I can do this manually, going through the list and giving them a distinctive style. But that is time consuming - in this case very time consuming.

I'd very much appreciate any help and hints !

//Mol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

You can use the style mapping feature when importing. Set up the Word styles in Word, and the InDesign styles in your InDesign template. Then:

File > Place, enable the checkmark for Show Import Options:

InDesign CCss_001.png

Choose Style Mapping on the bottom row:

InDesign CCss_002.png

Map the Word style to an InDesign style:

InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the style mapping feature when importing. Set up the Word styles in Word, and the InDesign styles in your InDesign template. Then:

File > Place, enable the checkmark for Show Import Options:

InDesign CCss_001.png

Choose Style Mapping on the bottom row:

InDesign CCss_002.png

Map the Word style to an InDesign style:

InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BarbBinder,

Thank you for your answer 🙂

However, I can't figure out how to change the individual level in a multi-level list with the method you've referred to.

//Mol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign. The Style Mapping panel only shows one Microsoft Word Style for the multi-level list named List Paragraph (it's in danish, so it might be a bit different).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create the styles for the levels in Word first, so that you can map them to the appropriate InDesign style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I need to make each level in a multi-level list in Word its own style - there by rendering the multi-level list function useless in regards to import it into InDesign?

//Mol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Useful. Once you have the Word styles set up, you can map them to the appropriate style in InDesign on import.

There are two templates involved—one in Word and one in InDesign. Then set up the mapping, and save it as a preset in the Import Options dialog box. There is more time spent on the front end to get this working, but in a template situation, once it is set up, it's very fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines