• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Develop Module View - Path\Filename

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am in the Develop module I don't know where to see the name of the file I am actually editing and it's physical path on the hard drive.

I get lost and sometimes get confused on which file I'm working on and the physical location it was sourced from.

thank you

joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

The toolbar should show you the folder you are in. It doesn't show the path.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall ever seeing this information in Develop Module. It is available in the Library Module, you'd need to find that information there and then you know the information before switching to Develop Module.

Why would you need to know the folder name in order to edit a photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dj, Thanks.

When i am in the Develop Module I'd like to be able to clearly see the path back where the image originated from. I don't want to have to remember where the image originated from if that makes sense.

ie:

I would like to see d\folder\image.dng when I'm in the Develop module, rather than having to remember that path.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i am in the Develop Module I'd like to be able to clearly see the path back where the image originated from. I don't want to have to remember where the image originated from if that makes sense.

This doesn't answer the question. You have answered "what" and not "why". The question is: Why do you need that information in order to edit the photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because a typical shoot looks like this in my hard drive..

Name

\Capture

\Master

\Selects

\Export

Who wants to recall from memory where this file came from 30 minutes into a LR edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this is answering "what" and not "why".

Another way to ask the question is: if you are editing a photo shoot, and you're 30 minutes into the edit, and you don't remember the photo's folder, what is this preventing you from doing? How would this lack of knowing the photo's folder affect your editing?

Everyone else I have ever talked to doesn't need to know the folder of the photo in order to properly edit the photo. The photo is on the screen is there, you see it needs more exposure and more contrast and a color balance shift, etc., every one else can make these edit changes without knowing the folder that the photo is stored in. There's no need for me or anyone else to "recall from memory where this file came from 30 minutes into an edit" to make the edits.

I'm asking because it seems like you're doing something that I don't see the reason for, and I just get the feeling that there are better ways to approach the problem, and Lightroom tools to handle this more effectively than having to remember what folder name the file is in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think we need to know why the user needs that information. I think it's just easier to show what information is available and let them work through their own workflow. The user might realize in the future that  needing to know the path isn't as important. But everyone needs to learn Lightroom at their own pace, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the answer to your problem, but it seems to me, that you are not using Lightroom as intended. You should organise the pictures within LR and not use a directory structure. But this is only true if you do not some other database tool to organise your pictures.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are times I find the filmstrip information (not necessarily full file path) very useful. For example to ensure I’m editing a virtual copy and not the original.

EditVC.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe

The information is shown above the filmstrip and is diplayed when working from a folder or collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the file name in the filmstrip, but not the folder or path. Are you saying you can see the folder and path names in the filmstrip in the Develop Module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. I don't see the folder and path name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The toolbar should show you the folder you are in. It doesn't show the path.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is helpful. Thanks Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines