• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Book Module -- Added Pages & Screwed Up Layout Automatically

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden Lightroom added a blank page every other page and erased every single layout so every other page is just one big photo.
HELP!!!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Hi again,  You mention -

1.  "Smart Collections"-  Only useful for automatically gathering images from a defined filter .

2. "Standard Collections"- Created manually, and useful for initial selection of images.

But have you created ?-

3. "Saved Book Collections" -  that show the small icon that looks like a book.

It is always easiest to return to a Book design by clicking the white arrow that appears at the end of a Book Collection name- this takes you directly back to the Book module with the design

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also erased ALL of my text!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing "undo"  [CTRL+Z] can revert and step back if you do immediately after the error, and is worth trying.

Some other hints-

You must always create a "Saved Book" Collection.

It can help to "Duplicate" the book collection which creates a 'copy' in the collection panel. (from the Right-click menu). If a major error happens (that is not un-doable) then the 'copy' can be opened to continue from the time the copy was made.

For large amounts of text, I keep it all in a 'Word' document, separate from Lightroom, and use Copy&Paste to transfer and place in the Lightroom pages.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! These are all helpful! I will try those things!

I'd tried UNDO but it wouldn't undo...

The same thing happened the other day and it would undo but this time it didn't work. I still don't know why all the pages were added and everything got lost. Both times it was after I imported new photos to the library and added them to the book collection.

I do have a backup, but I'd made changes since the last backup so I lost some amount of changes. 

Do you think this way of making a photobook (using Lightroom) is better than other options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a backup

But do you have a "Duplicate" Book Collection in the Collections panel?  (This is not a reference to a catalog backup!)

You have made a "Saved Book" Collection, haven't you?  (This is not a 'Standard' photo collection!)

Always re-open any Book from a "Saved Book" Collection. (If you select a Standard collection and go to the Book module you are starting a 'new' book design!)

Oh, and another thought- avoid the buttons to "Clear Layout: and "Auto Layout" (like the plague) once you have done major work on a book design.

Keep learning, watch some Youtube videos, you will soon be pleased with your results.

"Is it better?"  Well the Book module has its "limitations". But with experience it can create very acceptable photo books. (Note the word "Photo" here). Many have complained about the limit of page templates (128?), and the lack of ability to create layouts 'free-style' and change book dimensions other than the Blurb presets.  (Note: the Print module Custom Package, and Photoshop, can be used to 'save' multi-photo layouts of infinite design, that can be used in the Book.)

I believe that- for a 'minor'? module within the Lightroom program we are getting good value for cost. If a more creative Book program is needed then there is more sophisticated software available elsewhere. But one downside of 'other software' is the need to export all the photos out of Lightroom, and lose the ability to easily go back to adjust them in the Develop module, and lose the 'upload' ease that Lightroom provides. (The link to Blurb only, is another common complaint!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a Duplicate! I should make one? Okay. I have a number of Smart Collections and a Collection for the book. I've set that as Target Collection.

Thanks for the warning about Clear Layout and Auto Layout!

Custom Package: I had no idea! Interesting. I'll look at that. I think it might solve some limitation issues. My main concern, though, was that the program would do something unexpected and delete/rearrange the layout/text. I'm not savvy with InDesign, so Lightroom has been great in that I don't need to get frustrated with that program! I'd wanted a book that would have different dimensions, but I'm dealing with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,  You mention -

1.  "Smart Collections"-  Only useful for automatically gathering images from a defined filter .

2. "Standard Collections"- Created manually, and useful for initial selection of images.

But have you created ?-

3. "Saved Book Collections" -  that show the small icon that looks like a book.

It is always easiest to return to a Book design by clicking the white arrow that appears at the end of a Book Collection name- this takes you directly back to the Book module with the design as you left it.

ScreenShot040.jpg

The 'Shoe-box' icon is a Collection "Set" that holds several collections within it.

When you 'Duplicate' a Book Collection, Lightroom adds 'copy' to the end of the name-

ScreenShot041.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Yes, I've made book collections and have the book icon. That's why I wrote: "I have a number of Smart Collections and a Collection for the book." I meant I have Smart Collections and also I have a Book Collection! Thanks for clarifying! I'm still getting the hang of these things...

Shari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines