• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question Re: Importing Styles (Dreamweaver html)

Enthusiast ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a book in the public domain that I want to turn into an ebook. I started by scanning it into a PDF, then converting the PDF file to text. I then imported the text into Dreamweaver, so I could use html to style it and display it as a web page. Now I'm beginning to learn how to work with InDesign, and one of my first challenges is importing the text with all those styles (bold, italics, etc.) into InDesign.

I found an article @ http://indesignsecrets.com/exporting-and-importing-html-with-indesign.php that suggested it's a dim prospect, but the article is a bit dated. Can anyone tell me if there's a (hopefully not too convoluted) way to either import my Dreamweaver files into InDesign or export them in another format that can be imported into InDesign? I have a Mac and would therefore prefer to work with Pages. However, I do have Microsoft Word.

For future reference, what's the best way to begin processing manuscripts that I want to turn into ebooks? Can I use Dreamweaver, or is Microsoft Word the standard format?

Thank you.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

MSWord is the standard word processing applilication for producing a manuscript and the styles can be bought into InDesign. The term eBook covers a number of formats such as PDF, FXL ePub and Reflowable text ePub. InDesign CC2015/17 can export these formats though the latter format needs very careful paragraph and character style formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MSWord is the standard word processing applilication for producing a manuscript and the styles can be bought into InDesign. The term eBook covers a number of formats such as PDF, FXL ePub and Reflowable text ePub. InDesign CC2015/17 can export these formats though the latter format needs very careful paragraph and character style formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can figure out a way to import Dreamweaver's styles into MS Word and take it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I discovered that if I preview my Dreamweaver file in a browser, then copy the text from the browser into a Word document, I can then import the Word file into InDesign, complete with italics, superscripts, colored text, etc. There are a lot of fine points I need to learn about, but it looks like this is going to work quite well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of ePub do you want to produce?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make an ebook that I can sell on Amazon and Apple (iBook) both. As I understand it, I can create an ebook for Amazon kindle in InDesign by choosing the Kindle Fire/Nook option under Document Setup. After I'm finished with that project, I can reportedly import the project into iBook Author, then fine tune it for Apple. There are so many hoops to jump through, but I suspect it will become clear enough after I've played with it a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that my book will be a reference. I found a popular library reference that's in the public domain but hasn't yet been turned into an epub, so I'm going to make that my first project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which kind of ePub do you want to produce?

Which version of InDesign do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign - 2015.3 release. Maybe I should check with Creative Suite to see if there's a more recent release.

Which kind of ePub - eBook adapted for Kindle, as described above.

Now I'm trying to remember how to find out if Creative Suite has newer updates available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind... I figured it out easily enough. Looks like I have to upgrade seven or eight software program. Can't keep up with Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC2015.4 and CC2017 are the latest versions.

There are two kinds of ePub, as I mentioned earlier – which one are you going to create?

The Kindle use the mobi format, which you can create from an ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updating InDesign right now, so I should have CC2017.

I want to try and sell my ebook via Amazon, so I chose the option "Kindle Fire/Nook," which I assume is what you mean by "what kind of ePub?" I read somewhere that I can import an InDeign project into iBook, so that will save a lot of time. Thanks for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's for the new document setup: Intent > web.

I meant do you want to produce a Fixed Layout ePub or Reflowable text ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry, I forgot about the fixed vs reflowable option. I'm opting for fixed. So I guess my "type" will be Kindle fixed. I'm still confused by all the various options, many of which seem to overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you produce a few pages of each type to test before you commit yourself. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

I can recommend FlightDeck as an excellent validator: FlightDeck

You would probably find taking a Lynda.com video tutorial helpful, you can get a 10-day free trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My book will probably have quite a few fairly big images, some probably spanning the page, so I assumed fixed would probably be the better choice. But, especially since this my first ePub, it probably wouldn't hurt to create at least one chapter with both options (fixed and reflowable). I'm taking a week vacation the last week of the month and am going to start my Lynda.com trial then. Thanks for the tip about FlightDeck, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember, all text must have Paragraph and Character styles for and images must be anchored. Content on master pages will not be included and you don't have page numbers for reflowable text ePubs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I forgot about page numbers. That's another thing that sway me towards a fixed layout. I would think it would make it a little easier to index and insert links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but unlike Reflowable text ePubs, not every reading device can read FXL ePubs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so a reflowable layout would effectively give me a bigger market. Have you ever heard of people releasing an ebook in both fixed and reflowable formats and giving consumers a choice? Or maybe I make the Kindle version reflowable and the iBook fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I much prefer (generally) reflowable text ePubs, but it depends on the kind of content. With reflowable text ePubs you can only have a simple one column design and they are more difficult to produce – but they can be read on any device and text can be resized and the font changed to suit the person viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second thought, I think a reflowable format would work for this project. Images will be pretty much limited to state flags, which can probably just be placed under each state's heading.

At any rate, you answered my original question and prompted me to upgrade to the latest version as well. Plus, I just learned how to implement automatic page numbering on the master page. So I'm really off to a good start now. I'm hoping to finish this project by the end of the month, and it looks like I'll probably make it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As mentioned, there are no page numbers, and you don't use master pages, in producing reflowable text ePubs and you need an external and internal ToC.

Producing them is not intuitive and I strongly recommend you take this course: InDesign CC 2015: EPUB Fundamentals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines