• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font embedded on PC doesn't display on Mac

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a brochure in Microsoft Publisher and used the Gibson font, resident in my PC. Saved as Adobe PDF (clicked Printed Properties > High Quality Print to embed the Gibson font). Opened the PDF file, Properties > Font shows the Gibson font is embedded. Then I emailed the PDF to 4 other staff here that I know do not have Gibson on their PCs. Those PCs displayed the PDF and Gibson font accurately. However, I also sent the PDF to a staff member using a Mac. His PDF didn't display the Gibson font.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the Mac user is using either Adobe Acrobat or the free Adobe Reader to display the document. If it's being displayed in the browser, all bets are off regarding what software is rendering the PDF file (depending on the browser, it's configuration, what software is installed on the computer, ...). If it's being displayed in the Apple Preview.app, then the user is playing with fire: Besides being an underperforming PDF viewer, Preview also can modify (and destroy) a PDF file on the disk without the user giving their OK (see Preview.app - Killer of PDF Files - KHKonsulting LLC  for some more information).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font also isn't correctly displayed on my iPhone when I open the PDF from the email attachment I sent to them. We use Outlook as our email server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the iPhone, install the free Adobe Reader and then open the document in Reader. Does the font now show correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help! I installed Adobe Reader as you advised and opened the PDF in Reader. Yes it is correctly displayed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That suggests that whatever is going on is due to non-conforming PDF viewers. So again, make sure that your Mac users are using Adobe software to display the PDF files in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines