• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

automatic layout updating

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure if this is a feature in indesign cc2017 or not??

I am updating our catalog from a few years ago.. my boss said that I should be able to delete the discontinued products and the page layout should

automatically update to move all items together and compress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

up in lites wrote:

is there a way I can now change my new file to have this everything-flow layout? im not even sure where to find that.

You won't find it. As I mentioned (and Barb reinforced), it's more of a method than a feature; a method that requires purposeful planning and procedure...from the beginning stages of layout. In other words, you'd essentially be starting from scratch, using several features in combination to anchor all your elements in threaded frames. There is no Easy Button.

So,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends entirely upon the original setup of the layout. There are indeed ways to produce an everything-flow, like your boss seems to be describing, but it has to be done purposefully from the beginning. There are just as many ways (more, actually), to produce a layout that doesn't flow in that way.

The fact that you're asking seems to indicate the original layout isn't yours, so to confirm either way, you'll have to do some exploring. open the file, save a copy under a different name, select/delete some content, and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have all the original files because they are owned by our company, however the employee before me is gone..  I did open the orig file and save under new name an deleted content.. nothing moves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way I can now change my new file to have this everything-flow layout? im not even sure where to find that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you brand new to InDesign?

It's a function of working with threaded frames and anchored objects—which may or may not make sense immediately—depending on your existing knowledge of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

up in lites wrote:

You won't find it. As I mentioned (and Barb reinforced), it's more of a method than a feature; a method that requires purposeful planning and procedure...from the beginning stages of layout. In other words, you'd essentially be starting from scratch, using several features in combination to anchor all your elements in threaded frames. There is no Easy Button.

So, seeing as you haven't given us a sense of your deadline, and not knowing the condition of the existing materials in terms of asset management, etc., redoing the layout with everything anchored in threaded frames for this go-'round may not be feasible, if you don't already know how to do it. On the other hand, if it's, say, less than 20 pages, and you have a month or more to get it done, come back and tell us so, and we'll show you how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines