• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Certain numbers not importing to InDesign from Excel

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work a lot with linked Excel tables in InDesign and have found that cells with variations of the number -1 (i.e. -100%, (1), -1) are blank when pulled into InDesign. I've found that formatting cells with -1 as text in Excel is the only way to get it to show up in InDesign, however, doing this messes up any calculations happening in the Excel file. Because of this I can't use the cell formatting workaround very often. The only other workaround I've figured out is manually entering the number for that cell directly into InDesign, which I have to redo each time that link gets updated and opens up the risk of missing one (since it's just a blank cell, there are no errors that come up for it). I have no clue what would cause this type of problem other than some type of glitch in the program, but I'm looking for any advice on how to fix this. Working with linked Excel files is the majority of what I do every day and this problem comes up way too often for me to keep trying to work around.

I'm working with Microsoft Excel 2010 and Adobe InDesign CC 2015.4 Release (11.4.1.102 x64 Build). I've experienced this problem through a couple InDesign updates on Creative Cloud.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Well, just for kicks, save it back to XLS and see if that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s an ancient version of Excel but are they XLS or XLSX files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XLSX files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, just for kicks, save it back to XLS and see if that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that saving the file as an XLS fixes it. However, I don't know how plausible it is asking everyone in my company to start saving their files as XLS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would report that as a bug: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines