• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape (stroke) morph causes weird flip? Set First Vertex screws up path?

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 icons made in Illustrator.

I then made a Solid in After Effects and copied the paths from Illustrator to these paths so they appear as Masks. Then I've applied a STROKE.

Now, at a certain point I want the Mask Path to turn from 1 icon to another. However, it "mirrors" while making this transformation. You see this weird flip.

As soon as I try to set the "First Vertex" it screws up my path as it's not closed.

I've been Googling a lot but can't really find an answer on how to AVOID this flip and how to AVOID the First Vertex to randomly close my paths which I don't want.

Any help would be fantastic!

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-09 om 18.27.38.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017
Reverse Path Direction was greyed out

make a compound path (right click->make compound path) and then it will not be grayed out and you can reverse the path as you should.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the animation will move from one order of vetices to the other and match it accordingly. make sure your first vertex is in the same place. you may need to use mask interpolation to make it easier. here read this: http://www.provideocoalition.com/managing_moving_masks/

if you are still struggling with this please produce your aep file with that layer so we can guide you step by step. you can upload the file to any cloud service and post the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roei.

I tried that "copy" to AI and back to AE trick but no luck. Reverse Path Direction was greyed out and in AE I can only find the Mask Interpolation panel which is not as enhanced as the "Smart" panel shown in the article.

In the link below is the AE project of the morph. If anybody could look at it that would be highly appreciated.

As I will have similar morphs it would help me more if I know what to do instead of fixing the actual file. Thanks in advance!

Download:

https://we.tl/ljppJXMCrh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverse Path Direction was greyed out

make a compound path (right click->make compound path) and then it will not be grayed out and you can reverse the path as you should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing.

Changing the first icon to a compound path and reversing the Path Direction of just that one in Illustrator did the trick, it didn't flip any more.

Still looked a little messy so adding an extra keyframe between situation A and B in After Effects, where I manually repositioned some of the vector points, made it look much smoother.

Thanks again Roei!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!

Still looked a little messy so adding an extra keyframe between situation A and B in After Effects, where I manually repositioned some of the vector points, made it look much smoother.

that's where mask interpolation panel comes in handy. it automatically creates spatial and temporal keyframes to make the animation much more smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines