• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening an Avid Media Composer and Resolve Project in After Effects

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking of switching my workflow and going with Avid Media Composer and Resole with After Effects.

Lets say I had a sequence in Avid Media Composer and I wanted to open the whole project in After Effects or with Resolve. How

would I open that project like I would with Premier to After Effects?

Thank You for you assistance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

It doesn't work this way. You have to use intermediate/ exchange formats like AAF or the XML import stuff. Your footage also has to be in suitable CoDecs tha are accepted by all programs or have to be rendered and exported specifically. Given that, you will always lose information and it's not a smooth integration Like with DynamicLink in Adobe apps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work this way. You have to use intermediate/ exchange formats like AAF or the XML import stuff. Your footage also has to be in suitable CoDecs tha are accepted by all programs or have to be rendered and exported specifically. Given that, you will always lose information and it's not a smooth integration Like with DynamicLink in Adobe apps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tank You Mylemnium for the tip!

Another question.How would I export titles from After Effects and make them transparent for Avid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question.How would I export titles from After Effects and make them transparent for Avid?

you render them at a codec of your choosing that supports alpha. QT Animation will do nicely. for Alpha make sure you set your channels to RGB+ALPHA and to be on the safe side use straight alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent I'll give that shot. so When I make titles this means I won't have to matte Key in Avid to get the black background away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helpme21 wrote:

When I make titles this means I won't have to matte Key in Avid to get the black background away?

That's correct.  No backgrounds to deal with.  HOWEVER, your alpha channel animations can NOT have an audio track.  Avid makes you choose between having an alpha channel or having video (no alpha) and audio.  It's best to export any audio separately, which is only a minor inconvenience.  It's dead simple to sync 'em back up again in Avid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so When I make titles this means I won't have to matte Key in Avid to get the black background away?

no unnecessary keying. free transparent channel for every title!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

outstanding! Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I am having some issues with importing Alpha RGB titles in Avid Media Composer. I am importing these Alpha RGB transparent text and lower thirds into Avid than I am cutting them into the timeline and they are glitching the footage when I lay the text over the footage. I must be doing something wrong that is causing this issue. I know it's not a hardware issue. I am running windows by the way. I  am editing in avid 1920X 1080 29.97. When I remove the Alpha text I don't get glitchy jumps in my video. ThankYou for your help.

These are my settings for Alpha RGB from AE

RGB+Alpha Quicktime

Color: Premultiplied Matted

Format Options Animation

Importing into Avid

Alpha Channel-Invert on import White=Opaque

Image Size Adjustment-Image Sized for Current Format

Color levels

Scale from Full Range to legal range

Autodetect sequentially numbered files

I have brought these in MXF 45 and 100 still same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

render straight alpha and not premultiplied as demonstrated in an earlier post in this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I select the Output Module Settings from After Effects or do I select them from Media Encoder?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helpme21 wrote:

I am thinking of switching my workflow and going with Avid Media Composer and Resole with After Effects.

Lets say I had a sequence in Avid Media Composer and I wanted to open the whole project in After Effects

Whole project in After Effects??? That kind of scares me a bit. I can see color grading an entire film in Resolve, but AE is really the wrong tool for long form projects. AE is for making shots. I have used AE and Magic Bullet for years, but with the improvements in Magic Bullet and Premiere Pro there are very few shots that really need to be color graded in AE. Those shots are best brought in as a short comp that's just the length of the shot.

Other than that, for all my DI (digital intermediate) renders I use a 10 bit or better codec. GoPro Cineform is excellent, free, and supports alpha channels. There are several out there. For color grading I would stay away from 8 bit formats. You are just so limited in what you can do with 8 bit color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No Problems now thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines