• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting a shape with multiple paths to a mask

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. I couldn't find an answer to this, because people usually have a shape with only one path.

I need to make a mask out of my vector file.

I have imported a vector AI file and converted it to a shape layer. But it created 10 paths from the one I had. The problem is that I can't put all those paths into a mask. It would also help if I could convert my file to only one path.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017
I'm trying to make my ai image transform into a rectangle mask of a solid

you can, but you don't necessarily have to. it all depends what is more suited for your workflow but mask path and shape path behave the same.

your Ai image contains vector data that can be accessed if you convert it to a shape layer by right clicking on the vector layer and choosing "Create Shapes from Vector Layer". each path you have in the illustrator art will be converted to a shape group containing a path,stroke,fill

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have as many masks on a layer as you want. What are you trying to do? Why did you convert the .ai layers to shape layers. There are only a couple of reasons to do so and most of the time it's not necessary. If all you want to do is generate a matte (mask) then use the original AI layer as a track matte.

It's hard to give you pointers when there are about a zillion ways to use a path and we don't have any idea what you are trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make my ai image transform into a rectangle mask of a solid as it's shown here How to Morph Shapes in After Effects : After Effects Made Easy - YouTube So my image also needs to be a mask. Then I tried to find out how to make it a mask. The option I found involved transforming it to a shape and then pasting it's path to a placeholder mask. This is a source Convert a shape path to a mask path , yours by the way. But I can't do it with multiple paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm trying to make my ai image transform into a rectangle mask of a solid

you can, but you don't necessarily have to. it all depends what is more suited for your workflow but mask path and shape path behave the same.

your Ai image contains vector data that can be accessed if you convert it to a shape layer by right clicking on the vector layer and choosing "Create Shapes from Vector Layer". each path you have in the illustrator art will be converted to a shape group containing a path,stroke,fill and transform property. if you need to have them all as a one single path you have to prepare your artwork beforehand in illustrator (knowing that each path will be in a separate group).

after you have successfully converted your artwork into manageable sections, now you can set a keyframe for the path property, set another for the a rectangle shape if you want - make sure you are animating the shape properly by choosing the right first vertex and even reverse direction if needed (more information in a recent thread: Re: Shape (stroke) morph causes weird flip? Set First Vertex screws up path? ) and there you go.

if you are still struggling with this please show some screenshots of the morph you want to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines