Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place multi page indesign file into another

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

I have an Indesign document of 5000 pages (its for a coupon block with univocal codes), with these dimensions 15,5x4,5 cm.

I would like to put as many pages (single coupon) as possibile for each page inside a new Indesign document to optimize the printable final file (pdf).

The only solution I have found is creating a grid inside the new document, for example an A4 with 6 spaces, with empty rectangles, and then import all pages from the original multi-page file, clic each rectangle to put in the single coupon, and than use "command+alt+C" to adapt the content. The final result is what I want but I have to do this 5000 times.

There is any faster or automatic way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

I have found this fast solution:

1. Export the pdf and than take all pages out of it as single pages (as suggested by Willi Adelberger, thanks again).

2. Create a .csv with the path of each pdf (one per row).

3. Create a new InDesign file, place inside the master page an empty rectangle with the dimension of the element (in my case 15,5x4,5cm).

4. Open data merge panel and select the .csv. Assign the linked pdf to the rectangle e than create the new document with the button inside data merge panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally it would be possible to make a grid with the arrow keys, but with multiple page PDFs (and INDD are as such placed) it is not possible.

I would recommend an easy workaround:

1. Export the INDD to a PDF/X-4
  2. Open that PDF and take all pages out of it as single pages. It is a single command in the page panel.
  3. Create an INDD file: Consider the space and Gap between the single files and set it up in the Layout > Borders & Columns. Make the Gap equal to the distance you need between the single items, set up the correct borders.
  4. File > Place …, select all single page PDF files at once.
  5. When you place work with the arrow keys to increase or decrease columns and rows. Repeat it from page to page.

I am sure it could be scripted, but if you want to do it only once, it will be faster that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer!
I know this method and I have tried it now, but is not faster than my method (creating the empty rectangles and clic to put each page inside) and I feel more confortable with it. I have to do it for each page also in this case.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the tips and suggestions here http://indesignsecrets.com/quickly-place-images-indesign-document.php​ - some of these i have already tried and used successfully.

Credit should go to the person who wrote this article though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this fast solution:

1. Export the pdf and than take all pages out of it as single pages (as suggested by Willi Adelberger, thanks again).

2. Create a .csv with the path of each pdf (one per row).

3. Create a new InDesign file, place inside the master page an empty rectangle with the dimension of the element (in my case 15,5x4,5cm).

4. Open data merge panel and select the .csv. Assign the linked pdf to the rectangle e than create the new document with the button inside data merge panel. Select the 'multiple record' (I don't know how it's called in english version), set your layout and clic ok. InDesign will create a brand new document with all your pdf throw the pages based on layout settings choosen before.

Thanks everyone for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem. Please either mark correct answer or mark as assumed answered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines