• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to transition from LR4.2 & photos on computer to LR & photos in Cloud

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have LR4.2 on my laptop, and my photos&library on the hard disc of my laptop. I want to transition to LR in the cloud, and store my photos&library in the cloud. I do not know how to implement this transition. My questions:

1- I have appr. 10.000 photos in RAW format; what cloud solution would fit me best for storage of my photos? (which provider?, what capacity do I need?, etc)

2- What sequence is best? First, in LR4.2, move my photos&library to a cloud solution, and thereafter buy/activate a cloud LR? Or, first buy/activate a cloud LR and thereafter, in this cloud LR, move my photos&library from my laptop harddisc to a cloud storage?

3- What cloud solution is there for LR that fits my needs?

Also please let me know if the above "lines of thinking" are wrong to start with....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

To try and answer your original questions:

1. Leave all your images where they are.

2. Sign up for the Creative Cloud Photographers plan.

Download and instal the Creative Cloud Desktop app, sign into your account with the CC app, then download and instal Lightroom CC. Might as well download and instal Photoshop CC too, because it comes with the plan.

3. Launch your Lightroom 4 catalog with the new Lightroom CC app. You will be instructed on upgrading the catalog. This creates a duplicate catalog, so

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such Lightroom cloud solution. Lightroom requires photos to be on a local or network drive, and photos cannot be in "the cloud".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reaction, dj_paige.

If photos cannot be in "the cloud", then what does Adobe mean with the following scentence regaring Lightroom and AppleTV: " Once you set up the app, you can start viewing all your Lightroom cloud photos and Collections on your TV screen."?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monthy24231 wrote:

Thank you for your reaction, dj_paige.

If photos cannot be in "the cloud", then what does Adobe mean with the following scentence regaring Lightroom and AppleTV: " Once you set up the app, you can start viewing all your Lightroom cloud photos and Collections on your TV screen."?

I don't know, I don't use AppleTV.

Possibly, they are referring to the cloud copies of your photos that are available through Lightroom Mobile, but the original photos must be on a local or network disk and not in the cloud. If so, this wouldn't be the first time that Adobe marketing has written confusing gibberish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Lightroom CC and a Creative Cloud membership you can sync collections to the cloud. This gives you access to those images on other remote devices. The original images still live on your local network or drive though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To try and answer your original questions:

1. Leave all your images where they are.

2. Sign up for the Creative Cloud Photographers plan.

Download and instal the Creative Cloud Desktop app, sign into your account with the CC app, then download and instal Lightroom CC. Might as well download and instal Photoshop CC too, because it comes with the plan.

3. Launch your Lightroom 4 catalog with the new Lightroom CC app. You will be instructed on upgrading the catalog. This creates a duplicate catalog, so no worries about hurting your original one.

4. Once the new catalog is created turn on Sync.

Now you will need to learn how to create collections and sync them with mobile. There are tutorials out there. I have one on YouTube if you are interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Theresa J, on the clear instructions. Very insightful and exactly what I was looking for.

I would indeed be interested in that YouTube tuturial re sync with mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monthy,

I'm glad I was able to help. Here is a link to more information about the Creative Cloud Photography Plan.

Lightroom and Photoshop | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan

Here is a link to my YouTube Video. It's short, and will give you a basic understanding of how to get started with syncing your images.

Lightroom CC Mobile Sync Tutorial - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

From the Originals in the Cloud aspect, If you have a CC account then technically you could

upload your Originals to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and they would sync back (the Originals) to LR Desktop and (Smart Previews to) any Mobile devices you may have.

Edits made on any device will sync if they are all signed in.

It is not guaranteed as a back up solution but hopefully this will come, therefore it's best to test it and have your Originals additionally backed up elsewhere.

The photos appear under 'From LR Mobile' in LR Desktop. Note: Syncs from LR Desktop to the Cloud only upload Smart Previews.

Maybe give it a try but there are others more knowledgeable than me to give you guidance on how to use Lightroom.

Unsure myself what happens when if you sync collections up then upload the Originals to through the Web Browser. I know it overwrites the Smart Previews in the Cloud but unsure if it syncs a duplicate of the Original back (Which you don't want).

Theresa, can you give any insight oh this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines