• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto page numbering, not working with tutorials.

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am new with Indesign. I installed yesterday. I am trying to make a booklet to deliver for my thesis.

I already saw few videos related to the creation of auto-numbering. Applying the page number to the Master.

I can not manage to solve it. My following pages are not changing at all.

Will you help me ? Can I upload my file ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Are you:

1. Navigating to the master pages;
  2. Drawing a text frame with the Type tool (the T) to hold the page number marker;
  3. Selecting Type > Insert Special Character > Marker > Current Page Number to insert the marker (usually the letter A); and
  4. Navigating back to the body pages to see the resulting page number?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you:

1. Navigating to the master pages;
  2. Drawing a text frame with the Type tool (the T) to hold the page number marker;
  3. Selecting Type > Insert Special Character > Marker > Current Page Number to insert the marker (usually the letter A); and
  4. Navigating back to the body pages to see the resulting page number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks , actually the error was that I was trying to change the "A" for a number at the Master page. I did not know that the A must remind there as a " reference symbol" and after my pages will be changing.

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. There's a learning curve to get up and running on InDesign—it takes some time to figure it all out. Keep watching those videos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, would really appreciate if can help. At Step 3, my Adobe InDesign Shows the letter "1" instead of "A". And for some reason it doesnt update to other Master Pages.....Which means I have to manually copy and paste the Text Box on each page. Is there a way to solve this or any workaround ? Would really appreciate it can help, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For future people searching this issue, I had the same problem and the cause was I was adding the "Current Page Number" to my first page instead of the "Parent Page" which can be found at the top of the "Pages" panel/window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines