Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new PC (2 months old) with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz

32GB RAM

500GB SSD

2x GeForce GTX 950 SLI

Windows 10 Pro x64

Photoshop was working fine at first but lately has been lagging at times. Today I'm trying to use Refine Edge and Select and Mask but the edge detection is running extremely slowly. Some strokes are instantaneous but other times it will just hang for up 20 seconds before it does anything. I have reset the Photoshop preferences (Alt + Ctrl + Shift) and have reset all tools to default settings. I have updated to latest video drivers and also tried downloading 2 previous versions of PS but all have the same problem. I'm right in the middle of a big project and have spent most of my morning just trying to fix this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restarting your system. Could be that an increasingly large assortment of background system processes are slowing your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rebooted. It might have helped a little but it's taking 10-15 seconds on most strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, could you disable fast startup under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings then restart? Fast startup saves a snapshot of everything and boots from that snapshot in order to boot fast. I've found that can slow things down a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabled fast startup and rebooted. No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.

Terri has a good point..Photoshop doesn't always like dual GPUs. Right click on your desktop and open the Nvidia Control panel > SLI configuration > Disable SLI. Restart Photoshop. You can also go into the Windows Device Manager and disable one of the two GPUs. Restart Photoshop.

A final option would be to disable GPU acceleration altogether in Photoshop: Edit > Preferences > Performance > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have disabled SLI and also disabled GPU in PS preferences. I have removed every unnecessary process from Windows startup. The "freezing" is less frequent now as in I can get in 5 or 6 strokes before it hangs but it's still happening. Most of the time that it hangs up if I go ahead and paint 1 or 2 more strokes it will go ahead and process but if I leave it alone it will continue to hang for 20 or more seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can we just check you are using the latest Photoshop build it's

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.0.1 20161130.r.29 2016/11/30:23:00:00 CL 1099099  x64

You can call that information under the Help menu by going to System Info. It's the first line of the dialog.​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is the latest: Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.0.1 20161130.r.29 2016/11/30:23:00:00 CL 1099099  x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off High Quality Preview make a difference?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try by-passing Select and Mask by using the old refine edge after you have made your selection. See the following post for instructions.

Refine Edge has Returned

Select and Mask is different from Refine Edge as it uses GPU Acceleration and if your performance is normal with Refine Edge it narrows the problem down to Photoshop accessing the GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High quality preview is already turned off but actually Select and Mask is working fine now... I'm getting terrible results with it though. Refine Edge is where the real trouble is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gotten the best results with the new refine edge in select and mask by :

a. Keeping the brush size small (10-20 px depending on the image, hardness 100% and spacing 1%)

b.Ensuring that it is only looking at edges (switching on and off "show edges" helps with this)

c. Using Radius 0 and Smart Radius "off"

I never use decontaminate colours - preferring instead to use a separate layer set to colour blending mode to take out any contamination

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I consistently have with Select and Mask is it always tears up the edges by bleeding in a lot of transparency. Do you have trouble with this? I want to like it but have yet to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is why I keep the brush size small and only use refine edge on edges such as hair, fibres, and fur It can do a good job if you keep it to edges but can, as you have found, tear out sections of image, if you use it on too wide a setting. I look at it this way - Refine edge, unlike me, doesn't have a clue what is foreground and what is background. If I choose the foreground and background and then let it loose only on those fine edges between them - then it stands a chance.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this has something to do with using a dual graphic card setup? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Sli cards consist of two separate cards linked together? Photoshop has never liked dual graphics cards and in fact doesn't take any advantage whatsoever of the extra GPU. I don't know if this is possible, but can you turn off the second card through the driver? You could then test to see whether performance improves after a reboot. You could also try switching OpenCl off-It's found under the advanced GPU properties in your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines