Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ActiveX update - please help

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community Forum

I have just updated DC Reader and Flash Player as per notice today January 11 but on checking my program list I still have Adobe Flash Player 24 Active X with the date of 15 December 2016 and version 24.0.0.186.

How do i update this file as well?

Please help and email me with a link so I know where to get your answer. I am not good at computers. It took me ages to find this place where to email you.

Many thanks,

Anthony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Dear Maria,

I just went to set up automatic updates as per your instructions and it was already set for automatic updates. (and Control Panel progarm did say Flash Player 32 bit.

So I guess the only reason I did it manually was because I was answering the email about updating and if I left it a little longer it would have done it all automatically.

I am so sorry if I have wasted your time but so grateful for your help.

Thank you again

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear m_vargas

Windows 7. 64 bit

I presume this is what you mean by the operating system?

Thank you,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Do you have two Flash Player ActiveX entries in the Control Panel list of installed programs?

Do you use multiple browsers?  If so, it's possible you updated Flash Player for a different browser (e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome each use different plugin types and Flash Player installed for one will not work in the other).

To install the latest version of Flash Player ActiveX for IE, launch IE and go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and download the Flash Player ActiveX installer.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

I normally use Firefox as my browser and very occasionally Internet Explorer when i find Firefox doesn't do the job.

I have just followed our instruction and on IE have downloaded from your link and now ActiveX is shown in my list of programs.

Does this mean that in future whenever I do an update for Adobe I must do it in both IE and Firefox?

I am so grateful for your help.

Thank you.

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

I forgot to answer one of your questions. There is only one ActiveX listed in my list of programs from the Control panel.

Is this good or should I have one for both IE and Firefox?

Again, you are so kind. Thank you.

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player ActiveX is for IE and there should only be one entry for it. Flash Player NPAPI is for Firefox, and there should only be one entry for it.  If you have both installed, the entries in the list of installed programs should appear as:

There should only be one entry for each player type (ActiveX or NPAPI), as in the screenshot above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnthonyWood ,

If you choose to install updates manually, yes, you'll need to install the update for Firefox and for IE separately.  If you opt into background updates (Update option = Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)) Flash Player for Firefox and IE will normally be updated within 2 - 3 hours of a new version being available.  Background Updates occurs in the background, no user interaction necessary.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

Yes, I would be more than happy to have automatic updates for DCreader, Flash Player and ActiveX. How do I set things up to do this?

Should I have a separate ActiveX on my control list of programs for both IE and Firefox?

I am so very grateful for your help. My thanks don't seem adequate.

Best wishes,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again I forgot to say that yes,

there is only one entry for ActiveX and one for NPAPI in my list. I guess that answers my question about having separate entries forIE and Firefox.

Yes, I would like to set all to automatic updates.

Thank you,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To opt into background updates do the following:

1. Launch Control Panel and go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items
  2. Double-click Flash Player (32-bit) to launch the Flash Player Settings Manager
  3. In Flash Player Settings Manager go to the Updates tab
  4. Click the Change Update Settings button
  5. In the User Account Control pop-up window click Yes
  6. In the Flash Player Settings Manager select the Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended) radio button
  7. Your system is now opted into Background Updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

My computer is 64 bit. You mentioned above 32 bit

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria,

I just went to set up automatic updates as per your instructions and it was already set for automatic updates. (and Control Panel progarm did say Flash Player 32 bit.

So I guess the only reason I did it manually was because I was answering the email about updating and if I left it a little longer it would have done it all automatically.

I am so sorry if I have wasted your time but so grateful for your help.

Thank you again

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct.  The Flash Player Settings Manager is a 32-bit app.  On a 64-bit OS, Flash Player installs both a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Flash Player. While most browser vendors have updated their browsers to 64-bit, some are still 32-bit, so both versions are installed and the Flash Player Settings Manager settings will affect both 32- and 64-bit versions.

Not a waste of time.  We're here to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Maria,

Again, I thank you.

You have been super supportive and answered all my replies so quickly.

I hope Adobe and its members truly acknowledge you for your help and support.

Happy New Year,

Regards,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines