• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best way to display a white on white pocket for the printer?

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I have the pocket displayed in blue with a note to the printer in the slug that the pocket should be printed in white, but I'd like to know if there is a standard way this should be created that printers across the board would recognize. Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 7.06.19 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Hi, Marisa.

There isn't any one right way, actually. The method you've identified that special content is as good a way as any. It's largely up to your printer as to the way s/he prefers to receive it. As Nancy suggested, talk to your printer to find out that preference.

Other methods I've used include setting features like the pocket in a particular spot color, making it its own layer, making its own page, and a few other methods.

Regards,

Pariah

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Forum Lounge is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

The Forum Lounge is EXACTLY the right place for such a question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the InDesign forum and asked a question regarding InDesign. If this isn't a place to discuss an issue like this, where is?

thanks,

Marisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the top of the screen capture I just made... you are in the LOUNGE... but I will move this to InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John! This was my first time to ever post a question in here, sorry I misunderstood where to post! Will do my best to do it correctly next time.

thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, you are printing with white ink (not process CMYK) on a colored paper stock right? If that is the case the area to be printed with white ink must be spec'd as a spot color so it shows as an extra plate in the Separation Preview panel. You at least have to make sure the Color Type of your blue is set to Spot.

InDesign also lets you simulate the paper stock color by editing the [Paper] swatch. So you can create a soft proof of a white spot ink printed on colored paper like this, where my paper color is set to gray and I'm using an almost white spot color:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 3.40.29 PM.png

If I look at Separation Preview the flap spec'd as the White Ink spot color shows on it's own plate

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 3.40.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it's a pocket made out of the same material that the back cover is made from. No printing will actually take place, only cutting. There is also a central cutout where the business card will be. 

Basically I just want to show the printer a visual, that a back pocket should be included, made from the same material as the cover itself...  Am I still on track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best answer you’ll get is to call the printer and discuss the entire project.

Believe me, you’ll save yourself a world of hurt by doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a good  1:1 relationship with my printer.  Whenever I have questions, I call him.  It save us both a lot of time.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I still on track?

I don't think so. You'll need to directly communicate with the printer. A custom die-cut trim with a pocket needs to be laid out as a flat. If it is a standard trim size they probably already have the die-cut guide

Something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.02.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should contact the printer and get their standard template for this kind of folder. They very likely already have a cutting die, so you might not need to buy a new one.

If I understand what you are doing, the template will  look something like this:

Screenshot 2017-01-10 16.37.59.png

The places that need to stay white would simple be left as white on your layout. The printer will tell you how they want the file sent. (The one this template came from asked that the template be deleted from the final PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to discuss this with your off site print professional who will be performing the work.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Marisa.

There isn't any one right way, actually. The method you've identified that special content is as good a way as any. It's largely up to your printer as to the way s/he prefers to receive it. As Nancy suggested, talk to your printer to find out that preference.

Other methods I've used include setting features like the pocket in a particular spot color, making it its own layer, making its own page, and a few other methods.

Regards,

Pariah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Pariah! I really appreciate your feedback here. I thought I was on the right track, and really appreciate your other suggestions as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

The question was just fine in the Lounge. It was only marginally related to InDesign as it was a question about print design procedure.

Is it really necessary to chastise and shame users who ask questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectfully, Pariah, that's what forum moderators do. They try to move questions to the forums they think will be most appropriate. This is perhaps a borderline case, but I would likely have responded as John did. In no way did he try to chastise and shame the person who posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines