Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop changes the filename when migrating back to Lightroom

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out why the filename of my image changes when opening it in PSD from Lightroom. It reverts back to it's original name, from before I manually change it in Lightroom. It used to work fine and then one day, just started reverting back...

I work on a Mac and my software is up to date.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version of the Mac OS?

Which exact NUMBER version of Lightroom?

Please give us step by step instructions on how to reproduce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use PSD CC version 2017.0.1 and Lightroom 2015.8

So I shoot a a tethered photo, upon import it's given a filename(example: m0851-0027.NEF). Then once I've selected the right image, I rename it to: m0851-LBZ77750500008_2-back.nef.

Then, I open it up in PSD do my work, and as soon as I Command + S (or file > Save) it reverts back to the original filename: m0851-0027.psd

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have something to do with Tethering.

Have you tried just renaming an image then send to PS and save? What happens in that case?

And you are using the Rename dialog in LR? And are you sure you are actually renaming the file? What does the RAW NEF file show for its name and Original Name?

And the EXACT STEPS taken in LR to rename the file.

1) Select file.

2) Click on the bars icon to the right of the image name field.

3) Rename dialog box comes up.

Rename dialog box.PNG

4) Send to PS and save.

Rename Test LR.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly (an unsafe bet), there are other reports of tethering resulting in problems like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's pretty much what I've been doing renaming in lightroom, sending to PSD and saving... It just goes back to the original file name.

I guess it does have something to do with tethering, since it won't do it to images imported with my SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the exact steps you are using to rename the image, including the original name of the image and then the steps in PS.

Also please post the exact version of both LR and PS.

I have run some tests and can not reproduce your problem. I rename an image in LR, Send it to PS (Edit In PS), Save it in PS and the name used after the rename is what PS saves it as. Along with  a - and Edit in the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines