• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ram Preview Problems (Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

this has been asked before, but none of the given solutions solved the problem for me.

As soon as my projects get a little bigger, Playback is limited to just a couple of frames, before it jumps back to the first cached frame.

On my current project, most of the time playback doesn't even start but prompts me with the message:

After Effects error: Cached Preview needs 2 ore more frames to playback (actually the german version of it: After-Effects Fehler: Wiedergabe einer Cache-Vorschau benötigt mindestens 2 Frames.)

When this Error occurs, After Effects only uses about 2.5 - 5 Gig of the installed 16 Gig RAM, although i set it up to use 12.

CPU usage is arround 15%

No other CC applications are running, browsers are closed.

On this specific project, i have a couple of audio layers and 4K Video Footage (XAVC-S / .mp4 from a Sony A7SII)

The "rewinding" Playback after just a few frames also occurs on projects that have no video footage but are done fully within After Effects.

My PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
16 Gig Ram

AMD FirePro W5100 (FireGL V)

After Effects CC 14.0.1.5

Windows and After Effects running on a 232 Gig SSD with currently 36,5 Gig available space.

Some of my footage is on this Drive, most is on a regular HDD (450 Gig/360 available)

What i already tried:

- Raising the allowed RAM from 8 Gig to 12.

- Purching the Disc Cache (Its currently set to 15, but raising it didn't change the result)

- Cleared Databank and Cache

- Unchecked "Reduce Cache Size when system is low on memory"

- Reduced Viewer resolution to Quater and turned on "Fast Preview"

- And of course i closed, reopened and restarted the PC...multiple times.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

For persistent causes of this issue, today's bug fix update should solve it.

See the Adobe blog post for more information: A June 2017 Update to After Effects CC Is Now Available | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Please let us know if it works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this might sound too simple, but it sounds like you've accidentally set your Work Area to play only 1 frame. Grab the Work Area bars above your timeline and drag the Start handle to the beginning and the End handle to the end (or really, drag them wherever you like, as long as they are spaced apart more than a frame. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, try hitting this set of keys: Home, B, End, N. Hope that does it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Sometimes it's the most basic things that are easily overlooked. But it's not the Work Area in this case. Start and End Point (N,B) are definitely more than just a few frames appart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or first B and then N for that matter. But no, i did not mix them up and there is plenty of room inbetween.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cyperfection,

Did you solve this issue yet? Have you tried any non-Long GOP formats or transcoding the Long GOP footage to an mezzanine/intermediate codec?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

I have the same Problem, here:

- After starting AE i can render a couple of frames. But its not rendering the entire work area.

- After the third time I get the message: Wiedergabe einer Cache-Vorschau benötigt mindestens 2 Frames.

My PC Specs:

Mac OS 10.12.3

Macbook Pro Retina (mid 2012)

Intel Core i7 @ 2.6 GHz
16 Gig Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

After Effects CC 14.1.0.57

After Effects running on a 232 Gig SSD with currently 40 Gig available space.

Footage are stills (png or vector)

What i already tried:

- made sure working area is more than 2 frames via N and B

- Raising the allowed RAM to 16

- Purching the Disc Cache

- Cleared Databank and Cache

- Unchecked "Reduce Cache Size when system is low on memory"

- Reduced Viewer resolution to Quater and turned on "Fast Preview"

- closed, reopened and restarted the PC

This is pretty urgend.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChristianH,

What is the frame size of your imported graphics?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, that's the only time I've seen that message come up. What if you copy and paste your layers into a fresh sequence (assuming that doesn't mess up a ton of other stuff in your project haha). Or importing your comps and layers into a new empty AE project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that! Was having the same problem. Did all the cache clearing stuff... no go. This worked. (Knew it was one file as all others were previewing fine...)

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017

Go to

Preferences > Memory > uncheck this "reduce the cache size when system is low on memory"

this might help i think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the issue for me!!!  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For persistent causes of this issue, today's bug fix update should solve it.

See the Adobe blog post for more information: A June 2017 Update to After Effects CC Is Now Available | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Please let us know if it works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have the same problem with After Effects CC.
A lot of free memory (on the SSD and RAM), and I don't know how fix it
frame size: 2048x1152

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, exact, version number of AE CC are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have 15.1.2 (Build 69) and I'm having this issue.

Ive done every single fix out there and nothing is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey,

I noticed that the use of the puppet-pin caused the problem of previewing in my case. Maybe you can uncheck the visibility in every single of your layers to see where the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines