Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't find a solution: inDesign keeps changing font colors from RGB to CMYK

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have searched online for two days and found nothing, and this is after trying to fix this myself. I need some help, please.

I am designing several documents in RGB. This is going well and I can place images and do the normal whatnot. The issue is that the document colors change from RGB to CMYK automatically when something triggers it, and there is no way to reverse the process. Once this happens the entire document is screwed and I have to start from the very beginning and recreate everything and hope that it does not happen again.

The trigger "seems to be" (it is a bit random) when I duplicate a text box or paste text from notepad (I am using the latest version of ID on a Mac). I have my palette set in swatches to 7 colors, all selected from the RGB spectrum and I have deleted any reference to CMYK except for "black"). I am using blue text so it is easy to see when the color drains to an ugly grayish blue. The process usually goes like this: I am typing and working and placing images, and everything is fine. Then something happens (like an errant keystroke, but none that I can tell) and when I am typing words the entire text switches color. If I select the text and click on my various swatches I get CMYK variants of those, and not the ones that are right there in the tiny square next to the label.

Even if I CMD Z ll of the way back the document is now set in CMYK and refuses to use the colors I tell it to. It gives me a different set of colors ID thinks I should have.

This has to be a bug, or some asinine throwback to the stone age. I would ask the Adobe techs, but they won't answer a question like this. I can provide screenshots if necessary. Does anyone have ANY ideas on what causes this?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

typing monkey​

One shot in the sky:

set menu Edit --> Transparency Blend Space --> Document CMYK to

Transparency Blend Space --> Document RGB

Happy New Year

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

typing monkey​

One shot in the sky:

Happy New Year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, turning on Overprint or Separation Preview will preview RGB colors in your document's CMYK space.

Placing any image that includes a transparent bottom layer (a Photoshop file with a bottom layer that is not Background) will trigger the Transparency Blend Space preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to replicate the problem.

Another shot in the dark -- under View > Proof Setup, try choosing an RGB profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to replicate the problem.

There are a number of ways ID will force the preview of RGB colors into the document's CMYK space—it's only a preview, the colors space and values haven't changed:

Turn on Overprint Preview:

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 6.43.08 PM.png

Add any transparent object to the page while the document's Transparency Blend Space is set to CMYK. Here you can see the page is previewing in the blend space but the swatch is still RGB:

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 6.51.17 PM.png

The same page with transparency and RGB as the blend space

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 6.43.53 PM.png

And with the RGB blend space, but Overprint turned back on:

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 6.53.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you EVERYONE.

I did find this helpful:

It was set to CMYK. I did this with all documents closed so that it sets this as a default.

Also: I *am* using transparent objects. I had not thought of that. I am making flashcards and on the back I have an image of graph paper  as a background (to simulate the old blue lined graph paper we used to use in school, rather than set up an actual graph that prints cleanly). So my images on the back need to be transparent PSDs. Special thank you to Rob for explaining that. I went into

View > Proof Setup, try choosing an RGB profile

. . . and did that. I did not know that I should go to the dropdown menu and select custom. What bothered me was that it was happening on some files and not others. It may be that only those with transparent PSD files were triggering this action, so thank you Barbara! 🙂

I set the RGB profile to sRGB (number-letter number thing), as I believe that is the RGB standard.

After trying all of these I have not seen a switch but I will continue to work on this.

My printer has been in business since 1865 and they told me to design it in RGB or CMYK but to be consistent and they will handle everything. They don't want me trying to convert things on my end because it will only make a mess they have to clean up, and to be blunt, I tried CMYK at first and it was just not a happy affair. The colors are all washed out so I figured I would do this in RGB and let the printer convert it. THANK YOU again everyone. The problem was that technology was stealing my muse and turning me into a (very poor) software problem solver when MY JOB is to write and create. I am good at my job, but I am a lousy software problem solver. When I try to fix problems like this it ends up ruining otherwise decent products, and makes everything take years instead of months.

I am detailing this out as the internet never forgets (anything), and perhaps someday someone else will have this problem. Hopefully this matter has been solved using the above techniques. I took a few days completely off of the computer and worked with pen and paper because I was so frustrated—and angry that my project was being hijacked by a software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was set to CMYK. I did this with all documents closed so that it sets this as a default.

They don't want me trying to convert things on my end because it will only make a mess they have to clean up, and to be blunt, I tried CMYK at first and it was just not a happy affair.

But you should keep in mind that you are likely working with out-of-gamut RGB colors that your printer will not be able to reproduce even if they make the conversion. The reason for Overprint/Separation Preview is to show you what will happen to RGB color when the final conversion is made—that conversion has to happen somewhere. You should know what CMYK profile your printer will use for conversions and assign it to your documents so you can turn on Overprint Preview and get a more realistic soft proof.

Also with the RGB transparency blend space you have to watchout for small text that needs to be black only converting to 4-color, which can cause registration problems on press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I trust my printer. They have been in business since 1865.

I just wanted to thank EVERYONE (again). You guys totally rock and this project is back in production thanks to all of the help. I should buy you guys pizza or something when these flashcards come out in spring. If you remember, hit me up for a free set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
They have been in business since 1865.

Their experience won't help with printing out-of-gamut RGB color. Make sure you have an accurate proof from them before going to press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines