• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDFs - invisible text on submitted forms

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're getting a lot of interactive PDF forms back where completed form field text is "invisible" on the PDF.

It seems to be a problem with proprietary apps such as MAC reader, various browser plugins and mobile apps. The obvious answer is for users to complete the form in Adobe Reader, which eliminates any problems - but of course very few users understand how or why this is necessary.

We've even tried including text on the forms, and in locations which link to these forms, instructing users to download the form, and open it in Adobe Reader to complete; but predictably the advice is ignored, misunderstood or simply goes unnoticed. It seems like a fairly common problem (I resurrected this thread from a couple of years ago: text missing from returned form)

Does anyone know of a way to use INDDs interactivity settings to ensure that a PDF is opened and completed in Adobe Reader exclusively, somehow forcing the document to ignore any third-party apps or plugins?

Many thanks,

Simon.

NB: The forms work perfectly when opened in Adobe Reader / Acrobat... so it's really just a query about how we ensure we get it to work for users, who use all manner of third party apps on their various devices.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

There is no way to command to PDF-file for open only in a Adobe Reader.

What you write - you do it all right. May be you need to add text about it directly in first page of PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to command to PDF-file for open only in a Adobe Reader.

What you write - you do it all right. May be you need to add text about it directly in first page of PDF.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George is correct. There is no way to force someone to use Adobe Reader. I think it's just a matter of stepping up your education campaign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either that or if the problem persists then essentially make it a web based form that is less application dependant or an online application that only opens the interactive form in acrobat....

The most common thing I can think of as an example of this is when an Estate Agency might send a tenant either a VeriSign or AdobeSign document for a fixed contract renewal etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these forms are to be filled out in a browser then use a Google Form and stop using PDFs. As already pointed out, you can’t control how they’ll be filled out or viewed so use the right tool for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Google forms are not the best answer for this problem. Many companies don't want their people filling out forms to a server they can't monitor. Google forms are hosted by a private company and there is no way to monitor who has access to the information, etc.

I wish there was a better way to control what product reads Acrobat forms as I believe this part of the interactive PDF experience is the right way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Sandee - some of the form info is of a sensitive nature, and we definitely don't want it hosted by a third party.

Idea: Would password-protecting the forms (however simple the password) ensure the user would need to revert to Adobe Reader? It's a bit of an annoyance for our users, but it might be a crude way round the issue... thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Password protection in PDF is a joke. Don’t even bother.

Some 3rd party readers don’t even honor it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m trying to help the user.

Unfortunately password protection won’t slow the non-Reader user down.

However, I did a search for "forcing pdf to open with adobe reader” and found quite a few links about putting special .htaccess txt files in with the PDF to force it to open not in the browser, but Reader.

I don’t pretend to understand any of it but if your company has a savvy network person they may be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! Sadly, I'm that "savvy network person", Sandee!

I can force a download (that's pretty simple), which gets around the problem of users completing the form in their browser plugin... but it still doesn't allow you to force a user to use Adobe Reader as their default PDF viewer. If their browser happens to be their default method of PDF viewing, we're back to square one.

If they're using anything else (and Apple products in particular seem to be causing a problem), then we're still getting "invisible" text returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question if I may - can you show us an example of the invisible text in a screen grab on a part of the PDF that isn't strictly sensitive?

The reason I ask is that I'm just wondering if the field text is invisible because of the PDF set up in terms of layer set up or something. Like the field text has a background that renders text "invisible" because the background gets set to appear over the text etc?

I understand this is sort of not whats being discussed right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and or if its part of the PDF export settings that would help fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

You need to hire a PDF Javascript expert who will create a script that will do the following:

Look at what application has opened the file.

Move the viewer to a hidden layer on the first page that tells them they are opening the PDF in a non-supported application.

Gives them a link to download the Adobe viewers.

There is no way to force the OS to opening the file in a certain program. That would be such a breach of security that heads would explode all over the world.

But it would keep people from trying to fill the forms out in the wrong program.

Best,

Sandee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find the simplest solution is to pre-direct the user to Acrobat Reader.

That is - if it's on a website you could have like

Fill out this Interactive PDF (We recommend Acrobat Reader​ as your data may not be collated correctly)

If it's in an email - similar prominent text would suffice.

You could also insert something within the Interactive PDF itself, when the file is opened  - there could be a prominent header that suggests the user download Acrobat Reader and fill it out.

However, using something free like Google Forms, or Survey Monkey etc. would be better as you can also collect analytics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines