• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool to refine selection

Enthusiast ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nornally I would use the quick selection or tragic wand o make a selection. If I wanted to add or adjust an edge I would outline it with the pen tool, right click and choose add to selection. However now in 2017 the options are grayed out. is it mine or does everyone have this issue. TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Still here with CC2017.0.1 (on Windows 10)

With the pen tool set to path

Right Click then Make Selection - and in the dialogue that opens under operation Add to Selection

Alternatively click on Make :Selection in the options bar to get the same dialogue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still here with CC2017.0.1 (on Windows 10)

With the pen tool set to path

Right Click then Make Selection - and in the dialogue that opens under operation Add to Selection

Alternatively click on Make :Selection in the options bar to get the same dialogue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, old age setting in. I thought you had to turn it Into a selection first and just used Ctrl0enter. Duh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - happens to all of us

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a new workflow for me, but having just tried it, I find it a bit awkward. 

1. right click the work path.
  2. choose make selection.
  3. click in the dialog box that opens to choose New, Add, or Subtract.
  4. click on OK.

That's four individual steps.

I prefer to just ctrl click the work path.  One operation with the same result, _but_ you have to approach it differently by starting with the Quick Selection tool, and outputting New layer with Layer Mask from Select & Mask, so you can use the Ctrl clicked work path selection to clean up the layer mask.

Or if I don't feel the need to use Select & Mask, I hit the q key to go in to Quick Select, because that then allows me to use _any_ of the selection tools, including the Pen Tool via Ctrl clicking the work path, to clean up the Quick Selection.  Where possible, via Alt Backspace to fill with white or black.

This sort of workflow runs all the more smoothly with multiple screens so you permanently have all your panels open and available.  Having said that, I have taken to constantly dragging panels onto the image document to save having to move the cursor so far.  I can reset the workspace with a single key press via one of the G-keys on the G910 keyboard I use.  It all makes for a very fast and smooth workflow, but nothing is cast in stone, and a lot of what I do was learned from this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to start in select and mask these days, unless it is a selection with lots of smooth lines /curves (like a car for example).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I sill use the old refine edge as Select & mask doesn't beat it yet!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines