Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing colour space during "Develop"?

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

in the Develop module in Lightroom the colours appear as if the image is compressed, with low quality. But when I turn on the soft-proofing, the colours appear normal. Here's a video displaying this: Colour space issue? - YouTube

I have no experience with colour management so I can't figure out what changed and this started happening (recently). The only colour profile on my Macbook Air is "Color LCD" (with no other screen connected to the laptop).

I have read about colour management today and understand that lightroom is using the ProPhoto RGB colour space (profile?) for the Develop module while the soft-proofing happens on either sRGB or Adobe RGB colour profiles. However, I don't understand why my photos have recently started being displayed like that.

Running Lightroom 5.6 on a Macbook Air with the latest version of MacOS.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

First of all, update to the latest version, 5.7.1 from here: Adobe - Lightroom : For Macintosh : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 : Thank You

If you have the same problem as described here Low lights sky problem in developpement mode , that might fix it.

If updating doesn't fix the problem, please post screenshots that illustrate the problem, it's impossible to make anything out of the video you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, update to the latest version, 5.7.1 from here: Adobe - Lightroom : For Macintosh : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 : Thank You

If you have the same problem as described here Low lights sky problem in developpement mode , that might fix it.

If updating doesn't fix the problem, please post screenshots that illustrate the problem, it's impossible to make anything out of the video you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time for this.

Here are two screenshots, the first one being the "normal" in "Develop":

Screenshot 2017-01-02 23.57.22.png

Screenshot 2017-01-02 23.57.15.png

In the meantime, I will download the update and let you know if that helps!

Thanks a great deal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed after the update.

Thank you very much for your help.

Just for the sake of knowledge, what is it that caused this issue that was fixed with this update?

Thank you ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it fixed.

There was a bug in LR5.6 for Mac that caused this.

And BTW, Proof preview's intended use is for printer profiles, so that you can get an idea of how an image will print using a particular profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sharing my images online among friends or on Flickr. I understand I should use proof preview with the sRGB profile for that. Correct? Or not necessary to go through this process given the differences between Adobe space and sRGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should only use proof preview for printing.

But it's important to use the sRGB profile when exporting - for images going on the web sRGB is a must.

Choose sRGB as Color space under File settings in the export dialog.

You should only export with other profiles (i.e. Adobe RGB) if someone specifically has requested that you use that profile.

ProPhoto is a special case, and you wouldn't normally use that for exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, that's how I export.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimitrist25419410 wrote:

I am sharing my images online among friends or on Flickr. I understand I should use proof preview with the sRGB profile for that. Correct? Or not necessary to go through this process given the differences between Adobe space and sRGB?

There is no point in doing this if you don't calibrate your display. Soft proofing is only useful if your display is actually calibrated. Also, except in extreme cases with super saturated colors and when you are using a wide gamut display (definitely NOT the one on a Mac Book Air which is actually narrower than sRGB) will you see any difference between what you see in Lightroom and a sRGB export. This is because on your Mac everything is color managed and only colors outside of sRGB (which you can't see anyway on your display) will deviate when converting to sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's helpful, thank you!

There's no way I can calibrate my display now so I guess this is a problem for more "advanced" photographers

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue. Thanks this fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines