• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph separation too great

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working in an InDesign file yesterday, and all was well.  Today, if I hit the return button, all the text below is moved into a paragraph that cannot be seen.  The frame now indicates that I have text outside the size of the frame. No matter how big I make the frame, the text does not appear.  Even the frames I filled in with text yesterday are doing this today.  What did I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Try Fn+Return combination then.

Edit: also you may find interesting to read this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will help if you open up the Story Editor (Edit > Edit in Story Editor) when you have your cursor in the story. You may be able to see a "break character" or something that is keeping the text from showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that doesn't help.  Story Editor indicates that there is an overset as soon as I hit the return, but doesn't show any special character or space. When I return to the document, the text below the return is now all below the visible area of the frame, and the frame has a big empty space.

Thanks, though.  Story Editor will be helpful in other ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your paragraph style has an accidentally giant space-after or space-before amount? Or if you were not using styles, maybe the default amount in the Control Panel is accidentally set too great an amount?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Enter key do you use? Enter on a main keyboard makes new paragraph. By hitting Enter key on the numeric keypad, you create a column break. If there's just one column in a frame, your text jumps to the next threaded frame. If there isn't such, your text is overset.

I mean, use the "green" one:

01-Apple-keyboards-with-Enter-keys.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I would have said, if you hadn't beaten me to it, Winterm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, "Ladies first", I was taught... I'm so awfully sorry, Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is leading us closer to the solution.  I am back in the office today and working on a keyboard.  What you say above is exactly true.  If I use the return key on the main keyboard, I have no issue.  If I use the return key on the number pad, I have the issue described.

However, yesterday, I was working on my laptop which does not have a number pad.  The return key on the main keyboard was acting like the return key on a number pad.

I am using Creative Cloud, and it says all apps are up-to-date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Fn+Return combination then.

Edit: also you may find interesting to read this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know why my laptop is giving me the keypad return, but Fn+Return solves the problem.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Story editor can (again, yes! ^^) help you out here...

Set invisible characters ON and have a look at the symbol shown in the story editor, just before the excess separator.

which one is it:

returnes.jpg

If its "normal" return, did you check premio_oscar​ suggestion?

Don't forget screenshots are usually very helpful... maybe you can share some

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check this option:

paragraph style options > keep options > start paragraph

choose "Anywhere"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also good to know which version are you using. Due to a bug in 2 versions in the past (CS5 several languages, CS6 Swedish) the return key was tagged to the enter key. This could be repaired simply by an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting … the more common problem is hyphenation turned off and a word is too long for the display area … thanks for that article!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines