• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App sometimes crashes on startup

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.3 and an up-to-date Adobe Illustrator Draw. When I try to open the program, it often appears to crash. But if I double-tap the home button, I can see that it is open. However, if I try to scroll over to that and click on it, it brings the application up with my most recent project open, and then crashes again. In the past I have been able to eventually get it to open after trying repeatedly. However, this time I have been trying for at least 30 min of opening, and it still will not fully load. I have tried rebooting the iPad, and that did not help either. Is there a fix for this, or do I need to update something?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Erin.

It can't hurt to give it a try. Just make sure all your work is synced first... Log in with your Adobe ID to Adobe Creative Cloud and make sure that what you see there is what you see on your device.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Erin,

Because they require a lot of processing power and memory, there can definitely be problems when trying to use the latest versions of our drawing apps on the older iPads. A couple of things you can try:

Try force-quitting all the other apps that are running on your device (after double-tapping the home button, swipe up on all other apps).

You can try deleting any unnecessary apps, photos or text messages to see if that frees up some space on your device.

Also, check your wifi/data connection; an inconsistent/weak connection can cause problems the app to freeze/crash.

I hope one of those helps.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have force-quit all other apps, which did not help. I have also deleted some unused apps to free up space. I have 2 gigs free, how much should I aim for?

I will try later with a different WiFi setup, as the one I'm using now can cut out from time to time.

Additionally, I only have this problem with this app, the other Adobe apps I have open fine: Ideas, Capture, and Sketch

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erin,

It's not the amount of storage that's the problem, but the speed/age of the processor (I suspect your iPad has 512mb vs an iPad Pro with 4gb).

It is odd that you're not having any trouble with Sketch, but I've asked one of our engineers, who spent quite a bit of time testing on an iPad 2, if he has any other ideas for preventing the crashing you're seeing.

Let me  know if a different connection helps.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will do. This is the app I use the most, so is it possible that the number of files it contains is getting too large for my sad processor? I have multiple projects, some with dozens of drawings in them. There are probably 100-200 files all told in there.

Edit: a most stable internet connection does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erin,

Unfortunately our engineer just didn't offer much additional advice... Because we are constantly optimizing our drawing apps for new devices, there are some issues that are difficult to overcome when the latest versions are being used on older iPads.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to start saving some of that work as PDFs. I'm not entirely sure it will improve the performance of the app but. at this point, your computer will likely be a better place for archiving your projects.  You won't be able to bring them back into Draw but they can be taken into Illustrator in that file format.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing that for finished pieces, and will be more proactive about it in the future. If I uninstalled an re-installed the app do you think that would help it load?

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erin.

It can't hurt to give it a try. Just make sure all your work is synced first... Log in with your Adobe ID to Adobe Creative Cloud and make sure that what you see there is what you see on your device.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-installing seemed to fix it for now at least. I did loose all the progress on the last drawing I had open, but everything else was there. Hopefully it will continue to behave. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Erin.

Good. It's not a great long-term solution but at least you know it works; fingers crossed that you can continue to draw.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines