Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player will not install past 50%

Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS Windows 7 Home Premium ver 6.1.7601 SP1,  Mozilla Firefox ver 50.1, download link as below:

Problem started when attempting to update (as above). Proceeded to delete all traces of Flash Player as per detailed instructions. No change. Several more attempts to download/install with the same result, download stops at 50% and reports as failed. Have been using this app for a long time and never had a problem with updating until now. There have not been any changes to my system (as far as I know), that could contribute to this problem. Any help resolving this problem would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try rebooting the machine, and download the latest released Flash Player version 24.0.0.194.

Let us know if the problem persists.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply to my problem, please read my comments to m_vargas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue persists, we'll need to get the install log files to troubleshoot further.  The files are as follows:

• Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files saved at C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\
  • FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  If this is a 64-bit OS, the FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash is also required.  Please include append 'system32' and 'syswow64' to the FlashInstall.log file name so I'll know which file is from which directory

Upload the log files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your interest in this problem. After numerous attempts to download and install with the same negative result, I used the    " Flash Player Installer Link " from the Mozzilla Support Site, and this downloaded and installed version 24.0.0.186 without any problems.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wilhelmt76900539

24.0.0.186 is not the latest version.  24.0.0.194 was released yesterday.  We recommend updating to the latest version.  I checked, and confirmed, that Mozilla's plugin checker (Keep your Firefox healthy with a quick checkup — Mozilla ) still has 24.0.0.186 as the latest version.  I've escalated this internally.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem installing Flash 24.0.0.194 on Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise. Both ActiveX and NPAPI versions install to approximately 50% in about 2 seconds (determined 50% using interactive install) and then hang at 50% for 5 to 6 minutes then eventually complete successfully. I started with my usual silent install script, then tried interactive by clicking on the .msi files. I've done this several times now with the same results. Outcome is the same whether a previous version is installed or uninstalled before running the new install.

NPAPI install: InstallPlugin_20_0_0_194.exe *32 runs at 0 to 2% CPU during the 5 minute pause, then InstallFlashPlayer.exe kicks in in the end  before the install completes.

ActiveX install: InstallAX_24_0_0_194.exe *32  runs at 0 to 2% CPU during the 5 minute pause, then InstallFlashPlayer.exe kicks in in the end  before the install completes.

I've downloaded the .msi files from the link provided in the Runtime Software Distribution License Agreement.

I will send the log files if requested, but I get the feeling a fixed version will be available soon. Every so many releases of Flash the installer is just crapped up.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scottl10434801 ,

This post is referring to the online installer, which is not recommended to be used by enterprise customers.  Are you using the offline EXE installer downloaded from the distribution page, or the online installer, downloaded from get.adobe.com/flashplayer?

Thus far, we haven't been provided with log files to investigate further.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

I'm using the offline .msi installer. I can't share the link because it's private, but supplied by Adobe in the Runtime Software Distribution License Agreement. Here is the link to my latest log files.

[Content deleted by Mod at subsequent user request]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  We're looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scottl10434801

Please provide the following information:

1. Is this the first time you have experienced this issue, or have you seen it in previous releases?
  2. How many systems reproduce the issue?
  3. Does the hang occur when running the standalone EXE installer?
  4. Create a Process Monitor log file during the execution of the ActiveX MSI installer (let’s just focus on the ActiveX installer for now).
    1. Download Process Monitor from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx
    2. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspxRun Process Monitor and set the filter to "Process Name is InstallAX_24_0_0_194.exe".
    3. Then reproduce the issue using the ActiveX MSI installer
    4. Upload the Process Monitor log file to cloud.acrobat.com/send and post the link in your reply

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. This is the first time I recall having this issue
  2. I have reproduced this on 3 laptops with the same build (image). Different Dell Latitudes with 8GB RAM and SSD
  3. No, the ActiveX EXE installer did not pause for 5 minutes, it took about 20 seconds to launch and then about a minute to complete.
  4. Filtered Procmon log of a Flash ActiveX .MSI install: Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe

I have been pushing Flash using SCCM and now Dell/Quest KACE without much trouble to 700+ computers over many versions. As I mentioned in my original post, every once in a while a version just doesn't play nice, but it's been smooth sailing since version 18 or 19.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI scottl10434801

Thank you for providing the requested information.  The link you posted is for the distribution page.  Can you please post the correct link for the uploaded Procmon log file?

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I'm not supposed to share that, can you please delete it from my post?

[link deleted]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scottl10434801,

I'm not sure if you were referring to the distribution page link or the link to the uploaded file.  Both links were removed.  For future reference you can always private message sensitive information.  To send a private message click on the User ID link and select 'Message' button link. I've forwarded the Procmon log file to the installer engineer for review.

<edit>  I don't know which mod deleted the previously posted link, but they deleted more than just the link.  I do have the information you provided previously and it was also sent to the installer engineer.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi scottl10434801 ,

Can you please generate another Process Monitor log file without any filters?

Also, the link to your original install log files was removed by a moderator (not sure why).  Can you please send me that link again?  Those files should still exist in Document Cloud (unless you deleted them).  Log into cloud.acrobat.com/recent and a list of recently uploaded files will display.  Select the log files and then click the 'Sent &Track' link on the right-hand side.  On the new page, click the 'Create Link' button to generate the link to the files.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the files I sent previously. Shared Files - Acrobat.com

As far as a non-filtered log, I'm waiting for word back from our security team to see if I can share that. It will be big considering the Flash install takes about 6 minutes and (thanks to Trend Micro) ProcMon is capturing 1.4 million events a minute with an idle system.

Since the install eventually finishes successfully, I have been deploying it with the delay and have pushed it to over 300 computers. I'm surprised to not see more people having the issue while researching this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reposting the files.

You mentioned previously that the behaviour is not reproducible when using the standalone EXE installer, but the FlashInstall.log file only has MSI installation attempts.  Did you use the EXE installer on a different system?

Does the installation complete fairly quickly without using Trend Micro?  What Trend Micro product and version are you using? Is the Trend Micro version you have now the same version as before (prior to the FP installation taking upwards of 6 minutes to complete)?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the EXE installer on the same system, but my MSI installs are called from a CMD file that creates a new log with each run rather than appending. I didn't send one from the EXE install because it worked fine.

We're currently using Trend Micro OfficeScan 11.0.6125. This is the same version we've been using before this Flash release. Unloading Trend Micro OfficeScan makes no difference in the Flash ActiveX MSI installation time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the MSI install worked as it should (15 seconds or so) with Trend Unloaded. My initial install without Trend had failed but the install failure dialog was hidden behind other windows. I tried again and it still failed. Then I ran your uninstall_flash_player.exe to clean it up and the MSI install ran fine the next time.

I can't unload Trend from the remaining installations I have, but would think that it's Trend with the issue. I've queued up the remaining installations so they'll be done soon enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi scottl10434801

Thank you for the update.  If the behaviour doesn't reproduce with Trend Micro unloaded it does seem to indicate Trend Micro is contributing to the behaviour. 

If you still have the FlashInstall.log file of the failed MSI installation attempt I'd like to review it to find out why it failed.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines