Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has This Photo Been Edited?

Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maple_projects_may_news.jpgI have some experience with Photoshop and other photo editing software. However, I would the opinions of people here on this matter: has this photograph been edited in any fashion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Yeah it's been edited, but the image is so low res that it is difficult to tell how much editing or why. Something looks wrong with the right foot of the guy in question. Look at the space between his foot and the shovel. Looks like half his foot is missing. There are also some repeated patterns usually caused from cloning along the right edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I can see, but Google reverse image search found the original!

Do you have a particular area of interest?  What is it that you suspect might be wrong?  It all looks good to me, but I am mainly looking at the people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny. Actually, this is a billion dollar question (I am not making this up). Look closely at the man in the blue shirt, second from the right. I am wondering about the person's face and body.

This pertains to a one-man developer, plus his two associated brokerages/fiduciary businesses, and a LARGE (hundreds of millions) development with numerous site and other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like someone photographed it from a TV screen.

N. Korea is actually known to edit their leaders into images quite often. Love the backwards shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's been edited, but the image is so low res that it is difficult to tell how much editing or why. Something looks wrong with the right foot of the guy in question. Look at the space between his foot and the shovel. Looks like half his foot is missing. There are also some repeated patterns usually caused from cloning along the right edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. My experience with Photoshop has been years ago, in my university years, and I wanted the opinions of people immersed in the use of photo editing software to check against my suspicions. This firm operates out of a residential condo (same address and landline as two brokerages), and the picture is of the CEO. This firm (<CDN$100,000 annual revenue, one employee) is currently involved in a couple of unfinished pre-sold low-rise condos, but nothing of the scale of the current project. This involves as much as a billion dollars and a site that is basically undevelopable owing to environmental and flooding issues--it is essentially a floodplain swamp with a vaulted creek under it, that the firm bought for a fire-sale price in what was then a very overheated market.

There are indeed some odd things with this project, including the purported identity of the CEO. The article I got the photo from only exists on the developer's page, and the original does not exist on the source newspaper's archives, nor was in the print edition: http://mapleprojectsinc.com/index.php/news I am unable to contact the credited photographer. More photos of this person are here: https://web.facebook.com/ajay.nehru.14?_rdr The picture of this person in the restaurant is used in this developer's press photos: http://www.theprovince.com/Ajay+Nehru+president+Maple+Projects/9428058/story.html Note the timeline of the Facebook page, and that the pictures all seem to be from one timeframe. People who have claimed to have met this person qualified this by stating that they thought it was the same person in these photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description of the proposed project sounds like bad news on its' own. I suppose proof of photo-editing a self insert with intention to deceive would close the case. It might be the pixels, but his left hand around the woman's shoulder looks clipped. No chance of questioning others in the picture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very nicely done edit IMO, but difficult to give a definitive answer with such a low res, and blurred image.  Looking at the length of the shadows relative to each person's height, the man in question clearly appears to be out of kilter with the other people, but I am choosing the base point more or less arbitrarily.  Having said that, if his left foot had been further forward, and I still used it as my datum, the disparity would be even greater.

Do the other people in the picture have a vested interest in supporting version of events?  Do you know who they are and can you ask them?   The more I look at the relative lengths of the people's shadows, the harder time I am having picking holes in my supposition.  His shadow is too long... ipso facto he wasn't there.

I'll run the reality filter on it and see if that reveals anything....

Woah!  I wasn't expecting 'that' result.  And my reality filter broke its needle on the evil super-villain scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Woah! I wasn't expecting 'that' result.

Brace yourselves. Carrotman will be everywhere in just a week or so. And he won't just have a shovel in his hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with your assessment regarding the incriminated foot, looks like a clump of mud (or whatever) in front of it to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

So, you had some suspicion about this picture in the beginning. How are you going to get a full proof. ?

Only a police agency using forensic tools can convict a Judge to "help" you in the matter. My 2¢

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say the two on the right were added. Their shadows are much darker than the others and don't follow the contour of the ground very well. The back of her feet look odd: not cut out right, too dark for the sun hitting that side. There's a large beige mark above his shoulder that goes into the window in the background - looks like something wasn't masked out right. The shadow on his face is at a much more pronounced angle than the others in the image, which seems more frontal lighting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DSCF5898m.jpgVery insightful comments. Thank you all. I'm fairly certain that the original image is from elsewhere, at an earlier date, and the man on the far left is a local TV newscaster: the original was from the groundbreaking of a charitable project. I do suspect the two people on the far right were added--see the people on the FB profile. The author of the article--who is also credited with the photo--is un-contactable; the newspaper credited has no such article on file. The FB profile reminds me of a fake profile from a Nigerian-type scam I'd encountered: a group of photos from the same timeframe, nonsense on the wall. I suspect a scam, and have brought my concerns to several law enforcement parties. When I say 'several,' it's because Canada is unlike any G7 country, in that there is no sole Federal authority under which securities or real estate fraud falls within the purview of. In the real estate and development world here, massive frauds aren't uncommon, and more improbable things have gone on than what I'm suspecting--Google "Riaz Mamdani"+"Concrete Equities"+"shooting"+Rolls Royce"+"Titanic" for a story that's to bizarre to believe.

The project in question involves a large plot of land, part of the local wetlands system, which wasn't considered developable even in the 1950s, when nobody was environmentally aware. Basically, creek and stormwater foods the area, and there is no way to fix this. The original owners (a local ranching family) kept it as a low-end golf course for years, because there was nothing else that could be done about it. Most of the local residents are up in arms at the destruction of six hundred mature trees and a basically undeveloped wetlands habitat, but oddities involving the corporate structures of the three associated firms (a developer, and two brokerages, operating out of a condo in another Province), and the purported identity of the CEO were the red flags that caught my eye. At any rate, maybe some of you would be interested in seeing the area in question. I snapped these pics in the summer of 2013, with a Fuji P&S camera, no editing save for resizing them 25%:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello

--------- my answer became ignored, so I deleted it ---------

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can't see anything wrong here.

• light and shadows look entirely consistent - the darker clothing just makes the shadows appear darker.
  • the length of the man's shadow is consistent with his height.
  • to me, the shadows seem to follow the ground contour well.
  • the foot is fine - there's just a pile of dirt in front of it.
  • there's no patch on the shoulder - just a faint line on the wall.

And a frequent giveaway for composites, is local color casts, especially in the shadows. This is often very clearly seen with a curves layer on top. There's not a trace of that here - just a faint purple shadow cast that is entirely consistent.

If this is fake, it's done by an expert who thought of everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can't see anything wrong here.

• light and shadows look entirely consistent - the darker clothing just makes the shadows appear darker.
  • the length of the man's shadow is consistent with his height.
  • to me, the shadows seem to follow the ground contour well.
  • the foot is fine - there's just a pile of dirt in front of it.
  • there's no patch on the shoulder - just a faint line on the wall.

Completely agree with each item. The length of the shadows is entirely consistent when factoring in the camera lens and the focal length (and the perspective distortion associated with them). Only thing slightly odd to me is the Moiré pattern on the walls - really looks like when a camera captures the telecine process off a TV. No big deal if it is from a TV, just weird if it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing slightly odd to me is the Moiré pattern on the walls - really looks like when a camera captures the telecine process off a TV. No big deal if it is from a TV, just weird if it's not.

Could the house front feature corrugated bricks or tiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the moiré is just bricks - effectively the same thing as pixels on a TV screen.

You can get moiré in an ordinary camera capture - this was once a big deal regarding the Nikon D800 vs. the D800E. Although here it's probably happened in downsampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to go along with you on that, D. "Forum Forensics" isn't an exact science.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

"Forum Forensics" isn't an exact science.

Right so. (as I'v stated). If this is important for the Op (it seem so), official investigation need to be done.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still...

Take a look at the shadows, here exaggerated with Curves. Is it likely that these purplish color casts would match this closely, if it was a random composite from separate images? No way. They would have to be made to match - and if it's worked over at this high level of precision, then there's no way to conclude either way.

shadows.png

People watch too much TV. The idea out there is that it's always possible to spot a fake image, all you have to do is push the "enhance" button enough times. But in reality, it's just one pixel next to another. If you know what you're doing, you can always cover your tracks completely. If the image is important, for any reason, it may well be worth the effort.

Bottom line - there's no smoking gun here. Nothing points to a manipulated image. It can still be fake, but in that case so expertly done as to be undetectable.

Even looking for jpeg artifact patterns is futile if it was done before downsampling/saving out to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.stopfake.org/en/13-online-tools-that-help-to-verify-the-authenticity-of-a-photo/

Also try using the Foto Forensics...

But like others said all this isn't an exact science...

^^My two cents...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely sympathize with your concerns. Wish I could help you.

But again, there's nothing in the image that even suggests it has been tampered with. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines