Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

960 PRO or EVO

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

So its seems like the new M2 from Samsung 960 series is the way to go .... , but a few questions if u dont mind:

- is it worth paying exta for Pro over EVO? what is the difference between them?

- there is no reasons to split work around several disks now, right?  media, render, project files, scratch disk - previews, export - can all be on same M2 Disk? or its a good thing to keep something on extra Sata SSD?

- PCI card to use with M2 SSD? the are some cheaper cards like Asus, and more expansive like Angelbird?

regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

naumen wrote:

Hello

So its seems like the new M2 from Samsung 960 series is the way to go .... , but a few questions if u dont mind:

- is it worth paying exta for Pro over EVO? what is the difference between them?

- there is no reasons to split work around several disks now, right? media, render, project files, scratch disk - previews, export - can all be on same M2 Disk? or its a good thing to keep something on extra Sata SSD?

- PCI card to use with M2 SSD? the are some cheaper cards like Asus, and more expansive like Angelbird?

regards

1. I have been trying to find an answer to that outside of being slightly slower it appears that the EVO has same MTBF.  Maybe someone else can add info.
  2. I do not see any reason to have more than two SSD's and my testing results show that one SATA III SSD for OS/Applications plus one m.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4.  Actually I leave the two folders that Adobe defaults to the boot drive (Media Cache and Madia Cache Files) right where they go on the boot SSD as these files are deleted regularly.
  3. I doubt an third SSD would improve performance unless you are at one of the extremes of editing, for instance uncompressed media might benefit from a separate SSD
  4. Angelbird is expensive since it typically includes the 1 TB Samsung 960 Pro the bare board apparently is $75 and may have some heatsinking features, be careful that you get a x4 board not there x2 version.  Yes there are other cards ASUS has two versions and there are several others that work fine for me one is from SYBA SI-PEX40110

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pro model is slightly faster, has double the TBW in its warranty, and 5 year warranty vs 3 year of the evo. the evo model is still crazy fast, so you mostly need to decide how much data might be written and how long you want to keep the drive.

as long as you aren't working with extremely high bitrate media, the m.2 drive should be able to keep up with having everything on one drive. using a sata ssd for os/programs would free up some space on the m.2 drive.

if the m.2 drive is under heavy workload, there is a chance it could thermal throttle and lower its speeds. any pcie m.2 adapter that gets the m.2 drive off the motherboard will have the potential to let the m.2 drive get more airflow. good case airflow or a fan pointed at the m.2 drive will help keep it cool. adapters like the angelbird wings with its heatsink will do slightly better, but usually not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ronin.  I thought there was a difference in the warranty but just could not put my fingers on it.  You may have noticed I bought two 960 Pro's for my testing,  One is 512 GB and the newer one is 1 TB.  Sometimes as you

go up in size you get slightly better performance.  Not the case on the 960 Pro

And yes for use like a laptop one SSD can be used for a very large percentage of Premiere editing.  I have tested that configuration on my desktop.  With less CPU power on a laptop it still should be usable, one of these days I will try to simulate that on the desktop.

Interesting on my Premiere testing I have not been get any sign of throttling.  I created a long disk intensive write timeline and could see no change in the write rate.  Maybe it requires read write continuous cycling to get it to heat up but that is not the nature of Premiere, but it would be in database applications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like the difference is in TLC 3D V-NAND VS MLC 3D V-NAND.

I ve been reading online tests and they say EVO are comparable to other brands..... but where PRO is very much Leading tech..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines