• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kerning chapter titles messes up TOC titles

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent hours fixing the chapter titles in the book itself and then realised that the titles in the TOC got completely messed up because they are obviously much smaller and don't need the kerning fixing. How to fix that - change kerning in the book titles but leave the TOC ones alone?

Thank you so much.

AnantaG.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a separate style for the TOC titles from Chapter Titles and then adjust the Kerning for TOC style only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the thing is that i adjusted the kerning manually only between certain letters so then if i change general settings in my TOC styles (which I have made) it will increase or decrease everything propotionally - big will become bigger and small will become also bigger and then again it's not good. Another person suggested similar thing but I'm afraid i'm not clear with my problem. So imagine word INDESIGN being kerned something like this INDE SI GN. so that's in the chapter title of the book itself. so the TOC didn't need that kerning correction since the letter over there were smaller and looked fine. One thing is that the font that i used has some added characters which i made. just some extra diacritics because it's in sankrit language and those are particularly messy. i made them with exact measurments as the original ones but still. And just yesterday i learned that all the fonts (even Times and such) dont have perfect kerning when it comes to titles so i started playing around with my chapter titles...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as above just use 2 paragraph styles so your problem is gone...

Forgive me if you already know this but let me give you an example:

This is my "Heading Style" - it has its own Kerning, Fonts, Ligatures etc etc...

Example 6.PNG

But my Table of Contents looks like this:

Example 5.PNG

With different fonts, kerning etc etc...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So when creating a TOC you can use 2 or more paragraph styles to get it looking exactly how you want i.e.

Example 4.PNG

Yes?

Or am I missing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you could always use a grep style or nested style to apply the correct kerning if you know two letters don't blend well together in the "heading style" so that these changes you made didn't override the paragraph style and then also have a seperate "TOC style" for the table of contents....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Kerning I mean use a GREP style to apply more tracking when required: e.g. if you have a text where the letter "I" doesn't look good next to S you could use a GREP Style to apply a Character style where the Tracking is increased to say 200...

E.g. I(?=S)*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any manual styling has to be avoided, as it causes huge problems in any workflow. Work only with Paragraph Styles and Character Styles and avoid any manual overrides.

If you want to adjust kerning globally, try the justification section in the Paragraph Styles as it helps.

Another method create different Paragraph Styles, you need to add them in TOC style too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you find the answer you were looking for in the end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines