• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disabling The Auto Bracket Closing In Dreamweaver 2017

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've been using the new DW 2017 for a few weeks and the auto bracket closing is driving me up a wall. (As well as auto quote closing).  I haven't been able to find a setting to turn it off though? I have code hinting and auto completion disabled but brackets still auto close on me. Its frustrating me to a level that I'm considering ditching DW over this.

Any help would be swell.

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

To disable auto completion of quotes and brackets in Dreamweaver please follow below steps:

1. Quit Dreamweaver
  2. Open following file in a text editor:
    • Win: %appdata%\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2018\en_US\Configuration\Brackets\brackets.json
    • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC 2018/en_US/Configuration/Brackets/brackets.json
  3. Set below 2 flags in the file to false which are set to true by default.
    • "autoCloseQuotes": false,
    • "autoCloseBraces": false,
  4. Save and close the file
  5. Launch Dreamweaver.

Auto c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Code Hinting section, did you choose Never for Close Tags?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it doesn't seem to effect brackets or quotes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am checking with the team to see if there are other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution I received from the team. Let me know if it works for you.

Close Dreamweaver

Open bracket.json from this location in a text editor

%appdata%\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\Brackets\brackets.json

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC 2017/en_US/Configuration/Brackets/brackets.json

Add  "closeBrackets": false in the file, save and close the file.

Launch Dreamweaver.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesnt seem to be a Dreamweaver folder in my Library at that path?

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.07.45 AM.png

The only bracket.json my search could find was in the configuration folder inside the app folder. Changing it had no effect.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.09.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking with the team. Will get back as soon as I have a response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

themortalgod01 wrote:

The

The only bracket.json my search could find was in the configuration folder inside the app folder. Changing it had no effect.

What kind of file are you working in? The answer Preran supplied works in the Brackets editor when working in a Css file.

.foo {

Doesn't auto close the bracket.

.foo {

}

Depending on where you insert the line of code you may need to add a comma after 'false' (see in red below)

"closeBrackets": false,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested in just a standard HTML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

themortalgod01 wrote:

I tested in just a standard HTML file.

It still works in an html file but you would probably use less { } in an html file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and no, many frameworks use { quite frequently in html templates. For example Angular2 uses {{ }} to bind expressions in html markup files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

themortalgod01 wrote:

Yes, and no, many frameworks use { quite frequently in html templates. For example Angular2 uses {{ }} to bind expressions in html markup files.

It should still work in an html file, I dont know if anyone else can confirm that it does. I'm working in Brackets, not DW, but as Brackets is part of DW now and uses the same json file it should stop the auto brackets completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

brackets.json is located in user config folder within user home directory:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC 2017/en_US/Configuration/Brackets/brackets.json

or

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC 2017/en_US/Configuration/Brackets/brackets.json

You can add the flag "closeBrackets": false in the bottom and save the file.

On next launch onwards, brackets are not auto closed on typing { or [ or ( and also quotes are not auto paired on typing ' or ".

Turn off auto pairing brackets or quotes.PNG

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution does not solve the problem for PHP.

As soon as I type the first quotation in the example below, it adds the second one:

<?php
$arp=""

This is a serious issue for people who can type code quickly. Imagine you are writing a letter in Microsoft Word and Word keeps adding periods, commas, and other punctuation to your text as you type. It would drive you nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob,

I am able to disable the auto insertion of quotes and brackets by adding "closeBrackets": false in brackets.json and relaunching Dreamweaver.

Can you please share the path of the brackets.json file which you had edited and also share the json file content.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yshivaprasad wrote:

Hello Rob,

I am able to disable the auto insertion of quotes and brackets by adding "closeBrackets": false in brackets.json and relaunching Dreamweaver.

Can you please share the path of the brackets.json file which you had edited and also share the json file content.

Regards

Talking about "smart quotes" in php blocks of code not ({brackets}). I dont mind them myself but I think it would be good to be able to switch them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017/configuration/brackets.json

(the above is the only location where this file exists)

{
    "themes.theme": "dark-theme",
    "noDistractions": true,
    "healthData.healthDataTracking": false,
    "findInFiles.nodeSearch": false,
    "highlightMatches": true,
    "dragDropText": true,
    "showCodeHints": true,
    "closeTags": {
        "whenClosing": false,
        "whenOpening": true,
        "indentTags": []
    },
    "smartIndent": true,
    "useTabChar": true,
    "spaceUnits": 4,
    "tabSize": 4,
    "code-folding.minFoldSize": 2,
"closeBrackets": false
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob,

When Dreamweaver CC 2017 is launched for the first time, it makes a copy of brackets.json in the user configuration folder in appdata. On future launches, this file inside user configuration folder overrides the files inside installed folder, since the customization done by the user takes precedence.

Since you had modified the file inside app installed folder, the change is not reflecting.

Kindly follow the below steps:

1. Quit Dreamweaver if it is running

2. Open the file from following path in any text editor:

%appdata%\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\Brackets\brackets.json

3. Add "closeBrackets": false in the file and save it

4. Launch DW

If the file is still missing in the above path, kindly share a screenshot of the following path in explorer:

%appdata%\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed now.

The brackets.json file in %appdata% was not coming up in a search, but the other copy was, so I was updating the wrong copy. When I followed the path you provided and updated that copy, the solution worked.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anything called appdata on my computer. Is that a Windows-only solution? I'm on a mac.

I found a file called brackets.json at applications > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > brackets.json, I made the suggested edit but it had no effect.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a Windows-only solution?

Probably. Hopefully Preran or someone else can offer the Apple location. Looks like you ran into the same issue that tripped me up at first -- which is that there are multiple copies of that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bracket.json is available in below paths:

Win:  %appdata%\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\Brackets\brackets.json

Mac: <UserHomeDirectory>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC 2017/en_US/Configuration/Brackets/brackets.json

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do totally agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work anymore.

Anytime I type the following

( { ' or "

the system automatically closes and adds on ) } '  and  "

Which is simply awful. I can not understand why anyone would want that to happen, closing tags like </, ok, sure thats useful, but closing brackets and parenthesis makes the coding process very annoying and hard.

Please fix this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To disable auto completion of quotes and brackets in Dreamweaver please follow below steps:

1. Quit Dreamweaver
  2. Open following file in a text editor:
    • Win: %appdata%\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2018\en_US\Configuration\Brackets\brackets.json
    • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CC 2018/en_US/Configuration/Brackets/brackets.json
  3. Set below 2 flags in the file to false which are set to true by default.
    • "autoCloseQuotes": false,
    • "autoCloseBraces": false,
  4. Save and close the file
  5. Launch Dreamweaver.

Auto completion of quotes and brackets will be now disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines