• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive pdfs - Can I create an image slider on a single page?

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating an interactive pdf. On one page I would like a reader to be able to use a slider (or a good alternative) to view and move between 4 images of a single building. The building looks new and the gradually becomes older and more overgrown.  I simply have 4 photoshopped images which show the building looking more and more overgrown. So I would like the reader to be able to move the slider backwards and forwards and watch the building change in age. Is this interactivity possible using Indesign? Thanks for any help.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Short answer: no. Not in PDF.

Yes in SWF (argh!) and FXL ePub as well as AEM/article/folio old style.

So: no.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But these tricks don't really translate to a PDF. InDesign can build a slider for DPS. With some javascripting in Acrobat, you could have a tappable clickable button that changes layer visibility; therefore the picture could appear to change. However, again, most interactivity in a PDF does not function when viewed on most tablet apps.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You nailed nothing!

None of those links are for PDF and what the OP wants is not a suitable use for interactive PDF which is why I wrote this: It's okay to say no to interactive PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

You nailed nothing!

None of those links are for PDF and what the OP wants is not a suitable use for interactive PDF which is why I wrote this: It's okay to say no to interactive PDF

Well damn...

That's a little harsh... and i'm quite a flexible and open minded person! 

Perhaps I could have clarified a little that maybe a standard interactive PDF was not best - and that's an oversight I'm learning in participating in these Adobe chats > However you probably could at least make an effort not to slam me down that much.

Also he asked if it was "possible"... not what was best.

For example> It's "possible" to continue testing gold you purchase from customers with the classic acid test.

Is this the most reliable test in the world > No. Especially not if you're unfortunately colour blind.

Are there a heck of a lot of better methods to know if your grandma's jewellery is the real thing > of course.

Can I recommend some to you > Why yes... yes I can.

BTW - I'm being sarcastic to make a point about an issue - of what I felt to be a harsh response - not to be a complete idiot... and I hope I can still be of assistance to you or request your help in the future Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't sweat it, Warrior.

Bob is rarely, if ever, off the mark, and just as rarely gentle; which isn't to say he's not a gentleman. Even in posting disagreement with your reply, I doubt he would have addressed you directly if it wasn't for your premature celebration:

Think I just nailed this answer!

You will indeed encounter regulars here who aim to discredit responses of fellow posters, but Bob isn't one of them. Give it more time; you'll see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt he would have addressed you directly if it wasn't for your premature celebration:

Think I just nailed this answer!

You will indeed encounter regulars here who aim to discredit responses of fellow posters, but Bob isn't one of them. Give it more time; you'll see.

I'll be glad to give it more time and I appreciate that it was a premature celebration > as I stated before - I'm learning

...and that's all that I can do and hopefully will continue to do for the rest of my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: no. Not in PDF.

Yes in SWF (argh!) and FXL ePub as well as AEM/article/folio old style.

So: no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A longer answer: Yes; in PDF.

But, InDesign doesn't necessarily offer the best route for getting all of it in there. And, a "slider," per se, isn't exactly the best bet either.

With some Acrobat button fields and a little Javascript, it's not difficult to build an image gallery of sorts. Here's a simple example.

not-a-slider.pdf

I left it editable so you can explore the field properties and adapt the principles to your needs, if desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, as you can see for yourself that PDF does nothing when viewed in a web browser...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frans van der Geest (ACP) wrote:

...that PDF does nothing when viewed in a web browser...

A web browser?

Having verified that it does indeed work in the IE, Chrome, and Firefox Reader plugins (Windows), I can only imagine your conclusion is not the product of comprehensive trails. It even works in the awful Safari for Windows; (once through before it gets confused).

Maybe you could clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in Safari (Sierra Mac OS X), not in Firefox (Mac, PC). It does in Google Chrome. But they are simple Roll Overs, that is all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frans van der Geest (ACP) wrote:

But they are simple Roll Overs, that is all.

Exactly.

And, they could just as easily be triggered by MouseUp for even greater simplicity if desired. Is that a bad thing?

So, even when it works, it's too simple? What?

The OP's description of the objective made no mention of browser requirement, and of course you can find scenarios that will kill various forms of PDF interactivity; that's no secret. Yes, there are better solutions than interactive PDF for some things, and if that renders the platform useless in your eyes, you have a right to that position, just as anyone else has a right to continue using it...to their own peril or success.

But here, a PDF-based solution was sought and offered. What's your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Mensinger schreef:

But here, a PDF-based solution was sought and offered. What's your problem?

The OP asked:

" So I would like the reader to be able to move the slider backwards and forwards and watch the building change in age. Is this interactivity possible using Indesign?"

And your solution is not that and will not work in every browser, all I am saying. It is not me that has a problem by the way as the core of the matter still is: animated stuff, scrollable frames, slideshows etc (you name it) will not work in PDF. See the answer that Bob gave.

That's all, I am out of this discussion now as far as I am concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks Frans.

To the OP:

It's true the solution I offered may or may not work in some readers or browsers, as is true of any "interactive PDF." Since your very first statement, however, was "I am creating an interactive PDF," I chose to account for the fact that not all deployments of interactive PDF are broadcast toward the world-at-large, and in fact, it may be more commonly used in closed-loop, limited distribution scenarios, where the viewing platform is more easily dictated or controlled. I personally do a lot of work toward such deployments, where solid interactive PDF business solutions are alive and well; not to mention 100% viable into the foreseeable future.

So since it's also true that the solution I offered is more of a "good alternative" for which you asked, than a "slider," I wanted to add that if you positioned the roll-over buttons, butted end-to-end over a single graphic suggestive of a "channel" or "track-pad," moving the pointer across it to smoothly cycle through the triggered images might provide a more slider-like action and experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the help and advice everyone. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way all - I'm not trying to be the voice of reason here but why don't we just ask the OP which method they want to go down so they get the correct answer they are looking for > this forum get's closed off > and we all go and answer or ask other questions?

Otherwise you might as well all be scientists discussing String Theory and all the pros and cons....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and recommendations.  I appreciate all the ways you interpreted the question and provided solutions.  Really helpful! I've got what I need to progress.  Thanks again!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines