• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog doesn't link to photos after restore to new PC

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New PC, downloaded LR from Adobe, backed up and restored photos.  Everything is there just as on old PC but get 'photo missing' message when bringing up catalog.  When I go through all the recommended steps in manuals, forums, blogs etc, e.g., locate and find others nearby, LR finds them but they are grayed out as if already imported.  Catch 22 -- can't find them but can't re-link them because it thinks they are there.

Food for thought although don't understand why would make a difference:

1)  I downloaded new LR software rather than moving copy from old PC (both LR CC)

2)  I renamed photos on import (file rename, custom name-sequence) to avoid duplication between memory cards.  For example, DSC_0001JPG became KENYA_2016_0001JPG.  Again, old PC handles it with no issues.

How can I 're-link' my catalogs to photos master on new PC?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

You didn't put the photos in the exact same location as on the old PC. If you can put them there, that will fix the problem.

Otherwise, you can fix the problem via Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't put the photos in the exact same location as on the old PC. If you can put them there, that will fix the problem.

Otherwise, you can fix the problem via Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I previously compared and thought they matched but will look again...and/or follow through with info in link...and confirm when fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the folders and photo counts showing on LR match between old/new PC's -- but catalogs have disappeared. Tried repeating backup of lrcat.  Put it directly on external drive and I can see it there but after going to file/open catalog and clicking on folder, I get message 'no items match your search.'  I am so frustrated and have spent too many hours on this ... all other applications transferred with no issues.  Is there an 'expert' I can hire (Oakland area) --one who is truly expert and not just trial and error type -- to come and fix my problem before I ditch LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jans74765386 wrote:

Now the folders and photo counts showing on LR match between old/new PC's -- but catalogs have disappeared.

I don't understand the part about catalogs disappearing. We have been talking about putting FOLDERS exactly where they were before, nothing in this instruction, or the link I provided, would make catalogs disappear. Could you explain further what you mean by "catalogs have disappeared"??

Tried repeating backup of lrcat.  Put it directly on external drive and I can see it there but after going to file/open catalog and clicking on folder, I get message 'no items match your search.'

Again, none of the instructions we gave involve backing up your catalog and then opening the catalog. (When you make a catalog backup, the file is zipped, and you'd have to unzip it first to use File->Open Catalog, although this is entirely unrelated to the instructions provided above to fix the original problem, and will not fix the original problem.)

Basically, it seems like you haven't done the task of putting the folders containing your photos in the exact same place that they were in on your previous computer. That would fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I apologize for venting my frustration at my inability to solve this problem.

Second, I didn't touch anything about catalogs.  When I deleted the source folder that was on the new PC but not on old -- in quest to match the two since all is well on old PC -- the remaining folder populated with correct number of photos (previously none of folders showed that they contained photos).  Hooray, I thought, but then when I looked under catalogs, they were no longer showing.  My attempt to re-restore lrcat file was intended to solve that issue.  Obviously I still have things out of synch -- and it's beyond my skill level to fix even with clear diagnostics from you.

Is there any way in LR to figure out what folder/master the catalogs are looking for to synch with?  I thought I knew, but clearly have it wrong.

This week I plan to find a PC/Lightroom techie to help.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but then when I looked under catalogs, they were no longer showing. 

I don't know what this means. Look under catalogs? Could you show us a screen capture of what you see?

First, I apologize for venting my frustration at my inability to solve this problem.

As I said, you haven't done what we have advised, you've gone down your own path, and of course you won't be able to solve this problem. If you really want to solve the problem, I think you need to follow our instructions and not try to solve the problem yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong term. ..meant collections.   Counts are now all zeroes.  

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Show us a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not put the images into the exact same folder structure on the new computer as they were on the old computer, including the drive letter, then Lightroom will not know where you put them.

Use the link in DJ's post. You need to fix the missing folders before trying to fix the missing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines