• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Quick Mask Mode: how to get a solid mask with the brush or pencil tool?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Quick Mask Mode: when using the brush tool or pencil tool to mask certain areas, the tools do not provide 100% opacity, even if the opacity and flow are set to 100%. The masks are always somewhat transparent. That is a problem, because any adjustments I make to the rest of the image (e.g. brightness, blur, filters) are also applied to the masked areas to a lesser extent. My purpose of masking those areas is to isolate them. For that you need the mask to be solid.

To work around this issue, I mask the areas first with the brush tool, then switch from quick mask mode to normal mode, select inverse, switch back to quick mask mode, and clean up the original masked areas with the eraser tool. But that’s way too time consuming.

How can I get a solid mask with the brush or pencil tool?

Thanks in advance for any insights!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Check if the color is full black or full white. Maybe you're using a grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your tool's blending mode set to normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The mode (toolbar at the top) is set to normal. That's the blending mode, right? I have also tried resetting all tools, which did not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as the other suggestions - are you using a pen with pressure sensitivity or a mouse?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. I think the problem was that I didn't have full black or white selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the color is full black or full white. Maybe you're using a grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh - I guess I had missed some basics of masking! Since the masking color is always red, I never paid any attention, which colors I had selected. I didn't think that the two had anything to do with each other. Thanks to your response, Bettina, I realize now that they do. That actually might solve the problem! Ok - will do a proper masking tutorial. Though until recently my method had been working great for the most part, I wonder what else I might have missed. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The grayscale is used to define how much the area is selected, in fact you can have also a faded selection. With full white and full black the area you're painting will be completely selected or non selected. Probably untill now your foreground and background color were full white and black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines