• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum depth of layer levels for Warp Independent option?

Participant ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a maximum depth to the number of sub-layers (groups) in your puppet file that are eligible for enabling warp independent?

It looks like you can only go 4 group levels deep and then the warp independent option goes away. Is that correct, or is there potentially another reason my hair strands in the file structure below don't have the warp independent "crown icon" option? I want the hair to warp independently so I can give it some dangle physics. Do I need to kill the "Hair and Crown" group folder in order to bring hair up a level in order to have the option to make the hair strands warp independently?

warp-independent-layer-depth.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

It's a little confusing but:

• Currently only groups can be independent (get a crown).
  • If you add a + to a PSD or AI layer, CH will automatically make it a group in CH upon import.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There shouldn't be a limit - does that group have any artwork in it? If R hair is a group it should show up as a group. Is this AI or PS?

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.53.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh... I think you might have answered my question, in which case - I feel stupid! R Hair wasn't a group at all - it was just a Photoshop layer (specifically, a vector shape drawn with pen tool). Does Warp Independently only apply to groups and not layers? (i.e. should I stick each strand of hair into a Group folder with just one layer - the hair - in it?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.. OK, no. I answered my own question from above. In another puppet (also drawn in Photoshop), I have warp independent hair layers that are just layers and not groups. BUT, in that case, it looks like Character Animator sort of turned them into a "group" for me. See the Pigtail in the shot below? That's also just a layer in the Photoshop file, but in Character Animator it looks like a group.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 1.20.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little confusing but:

• Currently only groups can be independent (get a crown).
  • If you add a + to a PSD or AI layer, CH will automatically make it a group in CH upon import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it. THANK YOU! Yes, that exactly explains it. I didn't have the + on the original import, so warp indpendent wasn't an option in CH. Confirmed that if I go back into Photoshop now, add the + there, then the Crown is available in Character Animator for me to turn on and off going forward (because, like you said, now it's a group in CH).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines