• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot select a footer to edit-probably simple

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a master page with a footer that contains the name of the newsletter, the month and the page number - the page number changes the way it is supposed to.

For 17 months I have gone to the master and changed the month for each issue. Today  the outline of the text frame for the footer does not show up and I am unable to select the text frame to change the month to February. I have made sure I am on the right layer and that it is not locked. What am I doing wrong? I have tried looking through the forum questions and answers but after an hour I still have not found the solution. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

In addition to what Barb said, check your Layers. Bring to Front will bring the Footer to the front of the layer it is on and may or may not solve the problem, as layers take precedence.

If it doesn't, then either:

1. resize the large object so it doesn't overlap the footer

2. reorder the layers so the footer layer is higher

Also:

Make sure the footers are on the footer layer.

Select All and examine the colors of the frame edges. Turn off Guides if you need to while doing this, as they can hide the fr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Forum Lounge is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for posting in the wrong spot.

I am using InDesign 2015 release.

Thank you.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot may help clarify this but let's start at the beginning:

• Navigate to the A-Master (assuming that is where the footer is located)
  • Choose Object > Unlock All of Spread
  • Click on the footer text with the Type tool—can you edit it?

Since you have been doing this successfully for 17 months, could you be on the wrong master page? Or not fully on the one that you think you are on? That's my best guess. I prefer to use the Window > Pages panel to navigate to the master pages—but you have to double click on name A-Master to get there. A single click leaves you in Never-Never land.

If you look at the screen shot below, note that both the name A-Master and the thumbnails are selected.

InDesign CCss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you said and nothing is locked so I cannot chose that option.

I have made sure I am on the correct layer also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you look at the footer, does it have dotted or solid lines?

When you open the Layers panel and spin open the layer, do you see the footer? If yes, can you click the selection square on the far right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lines do no show even though I have “show frame edges” active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 7.46.28 PM.png

I just found a fix on line-after hours of looking. I can edit the footer by pressing command and click using the solid black arrow.  I would

like to know why I can't just click on it when I am on the master page. I must have changed something without realizing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cmd+click allows you to select a frame that is under another frame—so that pinpoints the issue. Cmd+click to select it again then Object > Arrange > Bring to Front. Deselect, and see if you can edit the footer directly.

If that takes care of the problem, the next focal point should be on what was overlapping the footer. The next step I would take is the go back to the A-Master and select Edit > Select All with the Selection tool (black arrow) active. This will select all the frames on the page, and you will be able to see where the problem frame is, and take it from there.

Please come back and let us know if you need additional clarification. Sharing the same same screen shot with all the frames selected and the Footers layer opened in the Layers panel (click the white arrow in front of the name Footers) would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to what Barb said, check your Layers. Bring to Front will bring the Footer to the front of the layer it is on and may or may not solve the problem, as layers take precedence.

If it doesn't, then either:

1. resize the large object so it doesn't overlap the footer

2. reorder the layers so the footer layer is higher

Also:

Make sure the footers are on the footer layer.

Select All and examine the colors of the frame edges. Turn off Guides if you need to while doing this, as they can hide the frame edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so could you share a screen shot with the master page spread visible, the Pages and Layers panel open? Use the button outlined below to add the screen shot to your response.

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines