• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message: "Could not complete your request because the path is too complex" when creating 3D object — AI to PS

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a friend trace an image for me (as I'm new to tracing) and he sent it to me as an AI file:

trace.PNG

I then duplicated it to 2 layers. For one layer, I delete all the inner detail so am left with just the outline of the image:

1. cutter.PNG

And for the other layer, I delete all the outline so that I'm left with just the inner detail of the image:

stamp3.PNG

I want to copy and paste both images to Photoshop as a path and then in the create new 3D extrusion from it so that they convert into 3D objects:

PasteAsPath.PNG

After doing this, I would assign a different height to each layer. The cutter layer will be taller because it cuts through the cookie dough, and the stamp layer is shallower because it only stamps or imprints the dough. Then I would merge the two layers so they are one 3d object.

I can copy & paste the "Cutter" or outline image, and then convert it to 3D without a problem.

CutterInPhotoshop.PNG

But my problem comes with the "Stamper" or inner-detail image. I can copy and paste it to Photoshop as a path, but when I click create new 3D extrusion from selected layer, it gives an error message that says "Could not complete your request because the path is too complex."

StamperPhotohopError.PNG

From Google searching the issue, I found someone say there was a bug a few years ago where really simple paths (like a triangle, for example) could cause that error. But apparently it was fixed with a newer version. I have the latest 2017 version of Photoshop.

Out of curiosity, I tried copy and pasting just the eyes, and still get the error message:

justeyes.PNG

To try to figure out why it is causing this, I made a test image which has a bunch of random, complex lines and dots in it:

Mess2.PNG

And I am able to copy & paste this image to Photoshop without getting the "complex" error message:

ComplexImageinPhotoshop.PNG

The Youtube tutorial I am following: Barnacules Cookie Cutters with Illustrator & Photoshop - YouTube is able to copy & paste over his image without getting the complex error.

What makes my image give the complex error message, and what can I do to correct it so I can transfer it to Photoshop?

Ryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

I am not sure if you have Illustrator yourself, but if you do, open the object up in Illustrator again, make all the points active, and go Object > Path > Simplify.

This is a screen grab of your original that I have used Trace in AI, and you can see it has a lot of points.

I am not flash with AI, but I was able to half the number of points, with some 'issues' shall we say.

A bit of manual clean up would restore the shape, and reduce the number of points still more.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could do with our davescmfor this, but I think it is because what you have bought in from Illustrator, is a complex object, where as you need just the outline path so you can create a solid 3D object in Photoshop.

However, if I make a complex path inside Photoshop, I was still able to make a 3D extrusion directly from it.  Note the first path in my screen grab below is a simple path, and the second a complex made by copying the first (dragging to the new path icon) Free Transforming it smaller, and pasting it to the original path with the Path operation set to Subtract.  Note also that you need to have a layer selected for the make extrusion from path to work (it is greyed out otherwise.)

I am a babe in the woods regards 3D, and our Dave is the expert here, but he will be along shortly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did take a look at this and can replicate it - but I have great difficulty in seeing why Photoshop sometimes classes a path as too complex and sometimes accepts it. I would echo Trevor's point. Try going over the detail with the pen tool keeping the number of points to a minimum.

As an example I drew three concentric ellipses with the freeform pen tool and go the message that the path was too complex. Drawing similar with the normal pen tool (using Bezier curves) the path was accepted without a problem.

So , in your case, I would try stroking the imported path onto a layer then going over it with the pen tool (not freeform pen tool) to create a new path and see if that looks simple enough to Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Trevor and Dave for your replied. I'm not fully sure if you are suggesting what I have tried already which is to:

Convert the AI file to SVG and upload it as an image (File > Place embedded)

stamp33.PNG

And then I went to 3D > New 3D extrusion from selected layer:

stamper444.PNG

And this does turn this "complex" image into a 3D object. However, the curves aren't smooth, but have rough/distorted angles to them.

For images that I am able to paste in as a path and then turn into a 3D object, they have smooth curves and look like the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite.

I was suggesting bring your path in as you did before, then stroke the path with a brush (click on the icon at the bottom of the paths panel) to an empty layer so you have a pixel based version of your shapes. You can delete the path. Then get the pen tool and use it to draw a new path using those shapes on the temporary pixel layer as a guide. This should give a nice smooth path which will hopefully be accepted in the conversion. Finally extrude that new workpath to 3D.

Bit of work in that but it should give a good quality extrusion.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and helping out! Really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if you have Illustrator yourself, but if you do, open the object up in Illustrator again, make all the points active, and go Object > Path > Simplify.

This is a screen grab of your original that I have used Trace in AI, and you can see it has a lot of points.

I am not flash with AI, but I was able to half the number of points, with some 'issues' shall we say.

A bit of manual clean up would restore the shape, and reduce the number of points still more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much Trevor for this. I'm having someone trace the image for me. Noob question but is there a way they ca trace the image so that there is less of a chance for getting that complex error? Is less anchor points all that is required to ensure this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines