• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of Focus

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploaded the attached and it was rejected as "out of focus." Idea was that the birch tree in the foreground would be in focus and the rest a blur to set off the birch tree in the foreground. Constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks.

Birch Tree Small.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

The entire image is out of focus. It's just that the bit of the birch you thought you had in focus is actually less out of focus than the rest of it. Here's a 100% crop to prove it:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 20.08.05.png

For stock photography, your work needs to be sharp as a craft knife. This doesn't qualify. When I started out, this kind of stuff was my biggest issue. Still is actually and I often ruin great images because I didn't think through focus more.

Few other things:

• If you want an image that says "birch" then you want all of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the birch is also out of focus.  Composition drives my eyes to the unfocused region,  This could be due to  the whiteness of the birch and the horizontal lines sending me over to the more colorful but unfocused area.  I would look for a feature on the birch to trap my eye and prevent it from drifting over the birch, the blurry area and finally off the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be because more prominent areas such as edges of the birch tree are out of focus. Also at full resolution the focused area of the birch tree looks a little blurred, probably due to low resolution setting of the camera.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire image is out of focus. It's just that the bit of the birch you thought you had in focus is actually less out of focus than the rest of it. Here's a 100% crop to prove it:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 20.08.05.png

For stock photography, your work needs to be sharp as a craft knife. This doesn't qualify. When I started out, this kind of stuff was my biggest issue. Still is actually and I often ruin great images because I didn't think through focus more.

Few other things:

• If you want an image that says "birch" then you want all of the birch in focus.
  • For composition, eyes usually move left to right but you have your subject on the right with nothing leading to it. The eye starts with a blurred background and doesn't know what to do. So, this would probably be improved by being flipped around. \
  • This was shot, by the looks of it on an overcast day with your white balance on auto (go on admit it!) That's why the image looks kind of flat. It could do with the whites being lifted.
  • Finally, there's something strange going on with a pink blocky colour on the right. Not sure what's going on there...

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 20.14.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines