Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clip Image to Type Layer

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone!

I am trying to add an image to a text for a design. I have the text but can't figure out how to add the image i want.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Put your image on a layer above the text, then Alt click on the boundary between them in the layers panel. This will clip the image to the text.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your image on a layer above the text, then Alt click on the boundary between them in the layers panel. This will clip the image to the text.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. Is it the same with a pre existing image with text i uploaded from my photo library? I have a picture my buddy drew and I'm trying to edit that make the words crisp and maybe arch it.  Im new to photoshop. sorry for all the questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem with asking questions - that is what teh forum is for. However, I am not sure what you mean?

Do you have a separate text layer and image layer - or are they already combined?

Perhaps if you uploaded a screenshot of what you are starting with - plus a screenshot of your layers panel and either confirm what I showed above is what you are trying to do, or describe what exactly you want to do, we will be able to help you better

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so this is what he drew me I'm trying to figure out how to clean up the lines so i can print it IMG_0123.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To smooth that text I would quickly trace around it with the pen tool to create a shape which will give you nice smooth scalable lines.

I did that below and used the patch tool to remove the old text from the background:

at 100% :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So use the freeForm pen tool and trace around all the words and then use the patch tool to remove it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the freeform pen - the pen tool which takes a bit of practice but will give much smoother lines.

Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop

So use the pen tool to create a path round the letters  then in options choose Make - Shape. You can fill the shape with whatever colour you like - I used black.

I then used the patch tool on a copy of the original image to give a clean background for the shape layer to sit above

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do apologize for asking questions, so I selected the regular pen tool. I put the first anchor next to the R. Do i keep clicking in order to get around the rest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a combination of :

a. Clicking to add a new point

b. Dragging, before releasing click to pull the handles to create a smooth curve in the shape you need

c. Alt-Dragging to give handles that will move independently. One handle for the curve up to that point and one handle for the curve going forward. This last option is needed when the curve changes direction or you need a sharp point.

Look at the link below - it shows how to draw straight lines and various curves.

Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop

Although it takes a bit of practice when you are new to Photoshop - the pen tool is great at getting really smooth curves for drawing shapes or for making selections with clean, smooth, edges.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this is difficult i guess ill try and keeping going around lettering, its pretty hard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does take some getting used to - but is well worth the effort.

If you are in a hurry with this image and need to do something fast, you could do as below - but this will not be as good as going round with the pen tool.

Take a copy of your image - blur it slightly using Filter - Blur - Gaussian Bluer set to 2-3px

Use Select - Color Range to select the black (click with the eyedropper and use the fuzziness setting

Go to paths panel and click in the icon below to make a path from your selection

Now with the pen tool selected, go to the options bar and click on Make Shape

You can then use the patch tool to put a blank background layer under the shape as I showed in the example with the pen tool.

Like I said this will give you a quick shape but will not be as good as using the pen tool manually

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much i will keep practicing, Thank yo so much for your help and advise!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing how do i get different layers of the pic like you did in the first example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do i have to go around each individual letter to make them crisp or the while pic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the extra layers:

When you create a shape from the path it will automatically create a new layer.

For the extra background - select the background layer in the layers panel and go to menu - Layer - Duplicate layer. You can move layers up and down in the layers panel - by clicking and dragging them.

Individual letters :

I drew paths round all the lettering before making a shape from it. You could just as easily do it letter by letter and this will create each letter on a new layer - it might be easier for you to do that whilst learning to use the pen tool. What makes the lettering crisp is the smooth path, whether done letter by letter or round the whole word.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like i said I'm new to photoshop so I'm a little confused on how to actually do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. Is it the same with a pre existing image with text i uploaded from my photo library? Im new to photoshop. sorry for all the questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option — because this thread is too much fun to leave it all to Dave — There are a few things going on here, but the writing is freehand one stroke at a time, using Lazy Nezumi Pro to smooth the lines.  I used a smaller brush for the second word, and I'd have taken more time, rotating the canvas if I was doing it for real.

An idea for the crown...  Use the pen tool and hit the escape key after the first stroke to make that a subpath.  Then start at the other end of the next stroke, make the stroke and hit escape again.  When done activate one subpath at a time, and stroke it with Simulate Pressure checked. You can see how that works.  Using the elliptical shape tool (set to path) gives the same effect.  Free transform to rotate the end point into best position.

BTW  A wee tip when tracing lines freehand, is to look where you want to get to, rather than immediately in front of you.  It's like riding a motorbike.  Look at the vanishing point at the end of the bend and that's where the bike will go (but hopefully not off the cliff at the end of it 😉  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. It must be Sunday morning where you are Trevor. I thought you wouldn't be able to resist this one

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm wrote:

Haha. It must be Sunday morning where you are Trevor. I thought you wouldn't be able to resist this one

Dave

11am and I am not even dressed yet!  (sorry about the unfortunate mind picture).  Yep, time to get a into gear — it's hot and muggy here and the Marlborough winds are sucking the moister out of everything.  The nearest town to us (Blenheim) caught fire last night — least ways some horrible hooligan set it on fire.  This was just as Chris was about to leave for her night shift, and Saturday nights are bad enough as it is with all those delightful drunk people (NOT) who come into ED and want to punch the staff.  As well as being in charge at the hospital on her night shifts, she is also the liaison with our Civil Defense, and they would have been on alert because fires can very quickly get out of control this time of the year, and she hates all that stuff.   I suspect folk in the likes of California and Texas would know all about that!  Mind you... the latest we have heard about America (other than Trumpkins) is that it is flooded.  I'm almost glad that I am old and will be gone before the world turns completely to shite.   (Dave do you have moderator rights yet?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hot and muggy - I wish

Yes I've now got mod rights - have PM'd you.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines