Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete fotos manually on camera with Lightroom after import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have just a simple question (maybe too simple but I didn't find the answer in the forum or the manuals):

I would like to delete the fotos directly in Lightroom after the import. I know that it is not possible to move or delete them automatically.

But it is possible to delete the fotos I've imported directly in Lightroom on the camera?

Yes, I can open my Windows Explorer or File Finder. But in Lightroom I see what's been imported. So I would click on the fotos and directly delete the imported ones.

Many thanks

Hans

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

The answer is no!.

Best, procedure is to reformat the card in the camera. That way the card is correctly configured for the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is no!.

Best, procedure is to reformat the card in the camera. That way the card is correctly configured for the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Ian has said, the other reason you do NOT want to delete the photos in Lightroom is because there are the occasional reports of files being corrupted during the transfer to the computer by a malfunctioning card reader. So, if you were to delete the photos from the camera card immediately after transfer to the computer, and the photo was corrupted, now you have only the corrupted copy and the good copy on the camera card is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thank you. So you are checking every single photo if it was trasferred correctly to LR before erasing the CF card? Seems to be a very manual process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't delete the photos on the camera card (by formatting the camera card) until I have imported the photos and viewed the previews in Lightroom (this ensures that there is no corruption) and until a backup of the photos on my hard disk has been made. I don't want to be stuck with a single copy, and then my hard disk crashes and I now have zero copies of a photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have made it a habit to never format the camera card until I have to.

That way I have an extra backup, usually for several weeks, or maybe even months.

If you leave the photos on the card, the next time you import, Lightroom can see that the old photos have already been imported, and will show them grayed out in the import dialog. (provided that you have Don't import suspected duplicates checked)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines