• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with EPUB publication: SWF to EPUB? or exporting pages as JPG?

Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've opened recently a thread in which I asked how to export an Indesign file to EPUB format. Due this question is related but different, I wanted to open a new thread to clarify concepts and to avoid we mix subjects.

I was recommended in the last thread to follow a course about creating EPUBS, however, I know how to create EPUBS, the problem is I do not have time to create a new publication coming from the original Indesign file. I need a perfect export, and with the Indesign export methods, I do not get a perfect export. My Indesign file is exported perfectly to PDF, but to EPUB, no it does not work. Even if I chose Fixed Layout EPUB, it does not work either.

The thing, is I do not need how to create an EPUB, because my problem is different.

My problem is, I need a DIN A4, works fine in an iPad and also in a Kindle.

In PDF format, my Indesign file works fine. I export my Indesign file to PDF, and I can see that PDF fine in my PC, in an iPad and also in a Kindle.

However, if I export my Indesign file to EPUB, it does not work (even if I select fixed layout).

What I need exactly is that when I export to EPUB, Indesign maintain the same behaviour I get with a PDF.

What formats works fine when I export from Indesign?

From Indesign to ----> PDF, it works fine. I get a perfect file exported.

From Indesign to ----> SWF, it works fine. I get a perfect file exported.

From Indesign to ----> EPUB, it does not work (even if I select fixed layout).

Where is the problem here?

Well, the problem is, that a Kindle read perfectly a PDF, however, if I export my Indesign file to EPUB it does not work. Also, if I change the document properties and I adapt it to EPUB, all the content (pictures, text frames, etc.) go away and I get a total madness. All changed.

So to summarize the problem, this line of work is okay:

Indesign ---> to PDF <---- Kindle (works fine, I can see the PDF fine in the Kindle)

Indesign ---> to EPUB <---- Kindle (do not work, I cannot see the EPUB file in the Kindle, the export do not work, even if it is fixed layout).

MAGIC SOFTWARE: 3D ISSUE

There is a magic software that create perfect exports from PDF to EPUB, its name is 3D Issue. It must, because cost 400 bucks each copy.

So I need to export an Indesign file to EPUB and I need it works fine. I cannot re-arrange all the project and start a new project just for EPUB. I need my actual Indesign file can be exported fine to an EPUB.

Any solutions?

I launch several questions:

What about exporting every single page as a JPEG high quality 150 dpi and then I create an Ebook (EPUB) using JPEG pictures for every page?

What about exporting from SWF to EPUB? Do you know any magic utility that works fine for this?

Perhaps someone knows a magic utility (not so expensive as 3D Issue) that can export fine from PDF to EPUB?

All ideas are welcome.

And sorry for the extension of my message, but I needed to explain clearly the problem.

Kind regards to everyone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add that I finally managed to export all the Indesign file to individual pages as JPG each one of them.

I think now the key to success would be exporting those JPG to EPUB

Also it can be possible to create a CBZ file from those JPG

I can create a comic book format CBZ file, which basically is getting all the pictures inside a folder, being sure all the pictures are properly numbered page01.jpg, page02.jpg, page03.jpg and so on...

Adding all the jpg files to a zip file

Replacing the zip file extension as CBZ extension...

And now yes, we have a CBZ compatible file.

Comic book archive - Wikipedia

The key now would be converting a CBZ to EPUB

or directly those JPG to an EPUB...

If someone knows an utility... I really would appreciate you tell me which one. I tried Calibre, but I don't like the final results. The EPUB lose quality.

The solution would be Indesign add an option to rasterize every page... but sadly, Indesign do not add this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see the point of this workflow (jpg to ePub).

Which version of InDesign do you have?

Do you want to produce a FXL ePub or a Reflowable text ePub?

Why isn't PDF right for you?

if a PDF utility like 3DIssue is too expensive, what about Create Mobile Friendly Media Rich Page Turning Book From PDF Easily - Flip PDF Professional if that's the kind of thing you're after?

At the end of the day, I think you need to learn about the different formats and their advantages (features) and disadvantages. There's no one right solution that can offer everything. If you feel you haven't the time to learn about them, maybe you should employ a skilled freelance person who does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- The point of JPG to EPUB workflow is to produce a perfect EPUB. When dealing with pictures and text, not always is possible a perfect conversion (even if you select fixed layout). It could vary according the physical dimensions of the ebook device, and hence, you get errors. In simple publications the conversion could work fine (just as text books or books with a few pictures), in complex publications, the conversion from Indesign to EPUP, do not work (magazines or complex catalogs). The only way to make it works is rasterizing every page, there is no other way.

- CC 2017

- Fixex, but it does not work either.

- PDF is not okay for all platforms. Some ebook platforms demand EPUB or MOBI (Kindle). Personally I think that is living in the "cave age", however I do not impose the rules. Amazon love its MOBI, and we all have to follow the rules (even if we do not like them).

- I did not know Flip Builder, however, Indesign CC 2017 does a fine job exporting the project to SWF, so the web integration is solved.

- I know the different kind of formats, but even if an EPUB or MOBI is not so rich as a PDF, a perfect conversion is possible with the JPG to EPUB workflow (rasterizing).

- I have tested several solutions based on that workflow and yesterday I got a perfect conversion. I got just a minor error in the cover (repeated two times, that I am on the way to solve it).

- I know how to do all this, so I am sorry I do not need a freelance that makes an ebook for me my doubt is about the JPG to EPUB workflow and for that reason I was asking. Particularly I wanted to share with the community the problem in Indesign, explaining the conversion is not possible, just simply because Indesign do not offer a resterizing option for every page (just for the cover). Hence, we need the JPG to EPUB workflow, and then, we need to solve the problem, making a package of pictures in JPG and exporting them as an EPUB.

If someone, knows any utilities that can get a bunch of JPG and create an EPUB, I would be grateful.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG was invented for photos. It is lossy and not designed to look nice for text, which is likely to show some compression artefacts even at high quality settings. I have no view on your proposed workflow compared to other things you mention, but perhaps you'd get better results with PNG than JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

… Particularly I wanted to share with the community the problem in Indesign, explaining the conversion is not possible, just simply because Indesign do not offer a resterizing option for every page (just for the cover) …

Hm,

if you really want all pages rendered to JPEG (or PNG perhaps?) with Fixed Layout EPUB, then I would do the following:

1. Export your document to PDF/X-4

2. Place the PDF pages in a new InDesign document

3. Export that one to FXL EPUB

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines