Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign SWF Scroll Bar

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm working on an ID project for a friend of mine, and was looking at options for how to include text with a scroll bar on one of the pages. Are there any suggestions for this?

I found an option to create a scroll bar in Animate, but I'm not sure how to transfer the project.

Any help would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Boy, are you opening a can of worms.

Hand out what on what media? USB flash drives are probably the best bet. But then what are the people going to click when they open the drive?

SWF is not the right thing at all.

Publish Online would probably be the best.  You could put the songs online as well as on the drive.

But if it were me, I'd make an interactive PDF with a link to the Publish Online document.

But there are so many "gotchas" in this project that my head is spinning.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using SWF? It’s about as dead an end as there is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign limits certain page transitions to SWF and the file I make needs to be easy to open with as few excess files as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

As long as you realize that you really can't rely on other people being able to play your SWF on their own computers and can't play the SWF on any tablets at all, and that you are pretty much the only person who will play the SWF, you're OK.

But I don't think there is any scroll bar choice for SWF.

Have you considered an FXL ePub or Publish Online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sandee Cohen wrote:

Gary,

As long as you realize that you really can't rely on other people being able to play your SWF on their own computers and can't play the SWF on any tablets at all, and that you are pretty much the only person who will play the SWF, you're OK.

But I don't think there is any scroll bar choice for SWF.

Have you considered an FXL ePub or Publish Online?

I have considered epub. However, I was under the impression that epub would be limited to e-book readers. Is this incorrect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct and still far more accessible than SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

Correct and still far more accessible than SWF.

Noted. The intention of this file is to provide this interactive ID project as a demo on a USB drive. Which file type would be recommended to allow for the widest available accessibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to tell use exactly what it is you’re hoping to accomplish with this project before we can answer that. But I will tell you that SWF is probably the worst possible choice you can make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

You need to tell use exactly what it is you’re hoping to accomplish with this project before we can answer that. But I will tell you that SWF is probably the worst possible choice you can make.

My friend is in a band, and tasked me with creating an electronic booklet housing a 3-song EP and the band's bio information. I think he's going to a conference and would like to hand them out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hand out what on what media? USB flash drives are probably the best bet. But then what are the people going to click when they open the drive?

Publish Online would probably be the best.  You could put the songs online as well as on the drive.

But if it were me, I'd make an interactive PDF with a link to the Publish Online document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sandee Cohen wrote:

Publish Online would probably be the best. You could put the songs online as well as on the drive.

Thank you Sandee. I remade my entire project to be uploaded through Publish Online, and found a working scrollbar to use. Everything is functional now! I only have one question regarding Publish Online: Does it support page transitions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No PubOnline doesn't support page transitions such as page turn but you can "fake" page transitions by using animations to dissolve over a previous "page" even though you stay on the original page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online is probably your best choice as it requres no player but works through a browser. It has all the interactivity of SWF with the exception of page transitions plus some MSO effects.

Here is a gallery of examples of Publish Online documents.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/c2c7aa96-405e-488f-8902-e1d96c1bea4f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines