• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change saturation in different locations?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image of a face where I would like to lower the saturation of the entire face, but increase the saturation of the eye pupils. Is this possible? It looks like the adjustment brush is not the way to do this since it can only apply to the previous saturation state. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

1. In the HSL panel choose 'Saturation'

2. Set all sliders to -100

3. Use the Brush Tool to paint, or the Radial filter circles over faces,  with Saturation slider set to +100 to re-introduce color.

ScreenShot058.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you've already mentioned, local adjustment brush is the only way you can localise an adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul Dandurand wrote:

I have an image of a face where I would like to lower the saturation of the entire face, but increase the saturation of the eye pupils. Is this possible? It looks like the adjustment brush is not the way to do this since it can only apply to the previous saturation state. Thanks!

No you can create many different adjustment brushes, one over the top of the other.

Google "Using the local adjustment brush in Lightroom" for detailed instructions and video tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While stacking local adjustments is doable it needs to be handled carefully. This especially the case when increasing adjustments such as saturation, which can very quickly result in high levels of noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian and Just Shoot Me. I found the Radial adjustment also as an option, but it's limited to only one selection. It won't work for two spots, such as two eyes. The brush approach will need to be the way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can place 1-2-3-4-5-10-100 radial filter Filters into any one image. All you have to do is click the New option at the top of the Filter area. Invert the Mask with the check box near the bottom of the Filter box. Using the Alt and Shift keys you have many options for placing the mask boundaries.

Radial Filter.PNG

These are all radial filters. Some on top of others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I tried that with no success. In the wedding image you have, I see you have three radials, one for each face. Let's say you want to keep all faces in color and make everything else black and white. What would be your steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC this is the first time you mentioned anything about B&W. Simple Desaturate.

Radial Filter Desaturate Brush.PNG

I actually have 5 radial filters applied. you can also use the Brush tool to add or erase the affect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In the HSL panel choose 'Saturation'

2. Set all sliders to -100

3. Use the Brush Tool to paint, or the Radial filter circles over faces,  with Saturation slider set to +100 to re-introduce color.

ScreenShot058.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that's pretty cool. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines