$1370

Alienware 17r

FHD screen 1920x1080

i7-7700 7th gen

8gigs RAM

AMD Radeon™ RX 470 with 8GB GDDR5

1TB HD

$1499.00

All have "ok" color on the screens. Looking for smoothest running when using effects like speed change and Red Giant Stuff. 17 is tempting for more space but its last gen processor and the newer one has a Video card I know nothing about. No gaming, just video editing and some photoshop and after effects

-Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

I believe an AMD gpu may not perform as well with Adobe apps since it uses OpenCL hardware acceleration only, while Nvidia GPU's use both OpenCL and CUDA and Adobe is optimized much more for CUDA, so I'd avoid anything with AMD, but maybe look at benchmark comparison's.

I don't know what the performance increase is of a GTX 1060 over a 1050, but personally I'd be a bit embarrassed pulling out an Alienware laptop in front of a client vs an XPS.  For me I also prefer the thinner more portable desig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Hardware Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of media will you be editing?

Do you plan on adding RAM?  8GB RAM isn't much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe an AMD gpu may not perform as well with Adobe apps since it uses OpenCL hardware acceleration only, while Nvidia GPU's use both OpenCL and CUDA and Adobe is optimized much more for CUDA, so I'd avoid anything with AMD, but maybe look at benchmark comparison's.

I don't know what the performance increase is of a GTX 1060 over a 1050, but personally I'd be a bit embarrassed pulling out an Alienware laptop in front of a client vs an XPS.  For me I also prefer the thinner more portable design of the XPS.

Assuming you can upgrade the ram and harddrive yourself in all those laptops, you will probably save money by buying the versions you listed, then adding another 8gb stick of ram yourself to get to 16gb ram.  But if you ever want to go to 32gb in the future, you'd have to ditch both 8gb sticks and buy 2x 16gb sticks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines