Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Units for Character spacing

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I was just wondering in which unit the Character spacing are indicated in XD.

I do know that they are not px, unlike the line spacing.

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

We're working in milli-ems, which is 1/1000th of the point size of the font. If you're from the web world, it's similar to ems, but just divided by 1/1000. Hope that helps!

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

As far as I know, the units used are points which you can read more about here:

CSS Font-Size: em vs. px vs. pt vs. percent / Kyle Schaeffer

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working in milli-ems, which is 1/1000th of the point size of the font. If you're from the web world, it's similar to ems, but just divided by 1/1000. Hope that helps!

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Elainecc,

I may think that it is not too practical for working on a web project and give the specs for the dev team.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would you provide an example? e.g. how does 0.2em line-spacing convert to character spacing in XD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never got an answer so I'll just leave this here for the future.
As elainecc said it's just divided by 1000, in your case just multiply it by 1000 instead.

0.2em * 1000 = 200 line-height (in XD)

I'm usually just using this mixin in my projects: https://gist.github.com/wiseoldman/b7660e1acb39229f1d06db484506eeb4

@mixin letter-spacing($spacing) {

letter-spacing: ($spacing / 1000) * 1em;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absurd. I have to do calculations to pass styles off to developers! Please translate, or give us the option to translate over to px or other units for spec'ing CSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have to throw my support in for this opinion. Up until now I've recognized that it wasn't px and just winged it for the "real" value in CSS, but that's getting old, and I'm really surprised that this is what that dimension is. I've never heard of that unit, maybe it's the "best" objectively, but I find it absurd that you guys aren't giving us options here. We should be able to switch that to px and ems at the very least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really stupid...

If I want to use 1.5px as character spacing, for 1.5px at default 14px, it translates to:

1.5px = 0.10714285714285714em

so I have to multiply by 1000 which is :

REALLY? I have to do all this just for my character spacing in px?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine,
Sorry but this is not solved.
This is the first time I heard about "mili-ems".

I just realized now that I was sending numbers like "-0.84px" to my devs team, thru the XD share link, which completly looks like a random number, and they even tend to not use it!.

On the shared file we have px/pt/dp option. It's more than obvious that we need the same units (+ mili-ems if you guys need it) on the application.

Thank you. This is a huge issue IMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that I needed a calculator to use this programm...If adobe wants to make a better user experience for their users please change this to pixels, no one understands this system! For type / font systems styleguides this is a horrible user experience! Lately they just released "marketing features" for new users, instead of focusing in the users that use this professionaly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to use this CSS formula to workout the corresponding CSS-to-AdobeXDLetterSpacing equivilant (See below).

letter-spacing: calc(-1em * 0.001 * <XDCharacterSpacing>);

For example, lets say you have Character Spacing set to "-70", then you'll use ...

letter-spacing: calc(-1rem * 0.001 * 70);

For example, lets say you have Character Spacing set to "120", then you'll use ...

letter-spacing: calc(1rem * 0.001 * 120);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pandauxstudio,

But this is a CSS solution, and I think it'ss way to complicated for a design software!
I hope they won't take if as a solution 😉
But thank you for your work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, I made a converter just to make my life simpler.
You can use it to convert letter spacing from XD to CSS(px) and vice versa.
You can find it here: https://codepen.io/raunaqpatel/full/bGpwBvo

If you want the formula, its: 

lineSpaceinCSS = (lineSpaceinXD * fontSizeinXD)/ 1000;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to add my voice and say this should probably be fixed. Software is designed for developing websites & apps, but all the metrics need to be converted manually? Doesn't make sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for web/app development. Please address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been nearly 6 years since this question was asked. Why does XD still not natively support unit conversion? (similar to how it's done in Webflow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines