• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I cut out text or images ....

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit text on a background that has already been saved. Every time I cut text or images out it leaves this checkered background and I have to take the paintbrush tool to color over the checker. I also still see the checker background slightly after I have covered it up using the paintbrush tool. Does anyone have any other ideas to edit text without this result?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

The sensible thing would be to keep your backgrounds, text and images on separate layers.  Save as PSD files so you can edit them later if needed.

Once an image is flattened  (layers merged into one) or saved as a JPG / PNG, the file is not really editable  in the true sense.  What you need to do is destroy the artwork and recreate it which is time consuming and often leads to sloppy results.

Can you recreate the image as a PSD file with multiple layers?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sensible thing would be to keep your backgrounds, text and images on separate layers.  Save as PSD files so you can edit them later if needed.

Once an image is flattened  (layers merged into one) or saved as a JPG / PNG, the file is not really editable  in the true sense.  What you need to do is destroy the artwork and recreate it which is time consuming and often leads to sloppy results.

Can you recreate the image as a PSD file with multiple layers?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

I am not sure how to save my background, text and images as PSD files. I don't have a background file that isn't already saved as a jpeg. How would I recreate the image as a PSD file with multiple layers. What is PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD = native Photoshop Document file.

If your background is a JPG you can put it on layer 1.

Create new layers for successive images and text.  See tutorial below.

Learning layer basics in Photoshop

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is tricky, since the text is essentially flattened with the background. Like Nancy said, you want to get in the habit of using layers. Simple label one "background" and then above it create a new layer called "text."

The reason you're seeing the checkerboard is because you're erasing the background and you're seeing the transparency "behind" the image.

What I would do, if you want to start over, is drag a marquee around the text, and then select edit/fill/content aware:

werwerwre.JPG

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

And then create a new layer and type your text on that. Content aware fill isn't perfect, but a lot of times you can make the slight tough-ups you need to make it look seamless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines