Processed tif has jagged edges when viewed in CC2015

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My first post. Be gentle please.

I'm on a Mac. I'm a photographer.

I shoot on a Hasselblad using their software Phocus.

Image looks fine on Phocus. when I save out as a tif, edges have a jagged appearance.

Same happens when saved to a DNG and viewed on ACR.

Any ideas?

I've attached an image, hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Thanks

in advance.

Paullhs cc2015 rhs phocus both 200 per cent.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best zoom view is 100%. At 200% you are likely seeing pixelation. That would happen to any file.

If you are using Photoshop on a Retina Mac, Image Size will be half that of a normal screen. Photoshop defines 100% as one image pixel to one screen pixel and will not "pixel double" the image.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what can you do? See this thread for a discussion on this topic and workarounds.

100% zoom is too small on screen (designers don't get high resolution displays)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not using a retina Mac. I understand about pixel size, I know what pixelation is, and know that viewing should be at 100%. Can you not see the difference in the 2 images? Do you not see that the lhs has a far more jagged edge?

I've been using this kit for many years now, and this is the first time I have seen this. Incidentally, I have shown it at 200% to make the difference obvious. It is still there at 100%. Like I said, it looks fine in Phocus. Not so on Photoshop. I have been trying to find out if there is some sort of hidden sharpening going on in the background in Photoshop.

BTW, Phocus can also view tifs. When I view the offending tif in Phocus, it looks fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would look at the Graphiics section under Preferences > Performance first. Was everything normal with Photoshop up to now?

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 5.46.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Bridge CC installed? (Free download) and do you see the same problem there when you click the thumbnail and see it in full screen?

What does it look like in other tiff viewers? Preview for example?

Also I have a Mid 2012 MBP/OSX 10.11.6/CC 2017 and will be glad to look at it if it is not confidential. You can PM a download link to me.

PM link is in my Profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks the same in preview. And in bridge. Looks slightly better in cs6, and if i view the tif in phocus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked all this. Same settings. I think i have an answer. I'll deal with all comments first tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject line says Processed tif has jagged edges... what does the comparison look like on the unprocessed images. Is there a still a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I notice is that the pixels in the Processed version are much larger than the Unprocessed version, hence the jaggy look.

300% zoom.  When you have larger pixels, that's less pixels in an inch and a lower resolution.

So I would ask what are the pixel dimensions before and after?  Is Phocus changing this on Export to Tiff?

Unprocessed:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 6.45.28 PM.png

Processed:

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 6.46.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure Adobe Camera Raw can directly open Hassleblad files, so can you bypass Phocus and feed the raws direct into Adobe Photoshop? It should let you see if it's something in the Phocus software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not getting this question answered to your satifaction, there is also the hasselbladdigitalforum.com - Index   I think you already know, but just in case.

I don't think anything in Photoshop would alter the image without you making adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been on it since day one, and it's previous incarnation. The guy who runs it works hand in hand with hasselblad. He was my first port of call last night. He's 12 hours ahead so got him fresh in the morning. He was as puzzled as me, but even offered to retouch some of my pics to help me meet my deadline. Great bloke. Your offer too , was extremely kind. Thank you. Once i get a chance to reintall and test, i'll follow up with an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phocus may be the issue, in so far as upgrades have been installed on top of each other over time. This can make the set up buggy. Crashes etc, dead pixels. following advice, i deleted all past ones and installed the latest version. No improvement. I then realised i had to delete the folder in application support. Did all that. By this time, the problem was secondary. The job had to be delivered today, and a reshoot with new software was out of the question, and couldn't afford any more time in trial and error stuff. So i carried through with retouching the edges. Job got delivered, client happy. Now packing up for next assignment, so don't have time to look at this again later in the week.

my own theory is some corruption is taking place . There were a couple of freezes, and a couple of unusual previews came up during the shoot. I was shooting 4 shot. That is, 1 picture is made up of 4 exposures, 1 each for red and blue, plus 2 for green. The camera will warn if there is movement. No warnings, and no movement, but i daresay there was some corruption as outlined earlier. I had to work on another 4 shot which proved to be fine. 400 % before jaggies matched what i was showing last night. Big relief. Will do a complete clean reinstall on my shooting mac of everything. Get the thing running clean. I'm carrying software that has been on 3 previous shooting macs. That's no way to run a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this is related to export settings in Phocus or it could be import settings in Adobe Camera Raw... Check both of these to see what they are. Have either of these settings changed recently for any reason?

What are your import settings when opening images in ACR/Photoshop? Can you post a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was as it should be. I use bridge and acr daily for nikon work. Hasselblad gets used sparingly. Normally everything rock solid. Please see my previous comments. Thanks for input. will post an update re my progress on fault finding once I've clean installed everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is off topic, but Gener's enlargements really show the Chromatic Aberration in the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, CA should be dealt with automatically in phocus, which raised suspicions that all was not well. See my other comments on background to how i was shooting. Thanks for your  interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If uninstalling Phocus means moving it to the Trash as most programs are removed in the Mac, I think you would want this free utility:

AppCleaner

You drop the Phocus app in there and it will seek out and find the support and configuration files that are scattered throughout your Mac. If the problem is a support file, you definitely want it cleanly removed or an reinstall might not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines