Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move photos at all LR 5.7 Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

About 2 weeks ago I lost the ability to move photos in LR! I've searched and I see that others have this problem as well, but I have yet to see resolution to it. I deleted the preference file, and even wiped the whole computer and reinstalled everything - which is always scary business, even with everything backed up.

Has anyone figured this out yet? I didn't change any settings, it just stopped one day. Planned obsolescence? Likely. I refuse to pay $$/mo for a program I've already paid $100 for. The last discussion I read on this issue dated to 2015, how is it still not fixed?

Please advise, and thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 2 weeks ago I lost the ability to move photos in LR!

Describe exactly what you are doing in great detail so it is like we were watching you over your shoulder. Describe what happens. If there is an error message, please quote the exact complete unedited error message.

Planned obsolescence? Likely. I refuse to pay $$/mo for a program I've already paid $100 for.

I hate these conspiracy theories. This is nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. I click on the photo to drag it into a folder, say from recent import (though it does not matter if it's from a folder, recent import, etc.) to a folder, i.e. to a collection folder. I click and drag but as soon as the cursor is no longer over the photo the photo in question goes back to not selected, and the photo does not move. Normally it shows the small thumbnail moving with the green plus sign, not just the bare cursor.

Yes, I'm clicking the photo and not the grey border box around it.

Sorry for lacking that detail initially.

No error messages, just a bug? I have no idea.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but when program after program becomes buggy as they age I'm just simply making the observation, not to get off topic though.

Running OSX Sierra I believe, whatever the most updated version of OSX is. Maybe this is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump, please, does anyone have any insight into this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of the Library module showing the whole screen.

Collections are not Folders. They are just groupings of images that can be in any folder.

To drag an image into a Collection you have to actually click on the image not on the boarder of the thumbnail.

When you add images to a Collection you are not Moving it from the actual folder it is stored in on your hard drive to some other folder.

You are just Grouping it with other images in that collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 9.12.42 PM.png

Thanks for the reply Just Shoot Me, I outlined above that I am grabbing photos and not the grey box, and I simply cannot move a photo from anywhere to anywhere else. Please excuse my misuse of terms between Collections and Folder, if it confuses the question at all. The cursor will not drag any photos anywhere. It basically acts, after I click and hold the mouse down, as if I'm not holding the button at all.

For certainty that it's not a trackpad problem, I also plugged in an external mouse, and it did not change anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of computer are you using, Mac or Windows?

Is it a Notebook and although you say Mouse are you using that term generically and are you using the track pad of a notebook?

If you are using a mouse have you tried a different one to test if it is the mouse itself that is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac (In the title )

Running OSX El Cap 10.11.6 (not Sierra like I said above)

Above I stated that I tried trackpad, and then an external mouse to make sure it's not a trackpad issue.

This seems to very much be an LR bug, of course it can always be user error but I feel I've eliminated that at this point. I've been an LR user for just over 2 years so while not by any means a pro, I am very familiar with especially basic functions like moving photos around. Can anyone out there shine any light on this?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated from 5.7 to 5.7.1, problem still exists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump again. I'm sorry if that's annoying, as far as I can tell you can only see the first few posts in this forum. I think my next course of action is to uninstall LR and reinstall. After that, I'm not sure. I haven't upgraded to Sierra because every single time I upgrade the OS, Apple wither removes some feature that was awesome, introduces something entirely useless, or makes an old feature obsolete (I.e. Spotlight is 100% worthless now).

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will always get the No Go icon, circle with a slash through it, until you get to a folder or a collection. When you first start to drag an image a small thumbnail of the image get attached to the cursor.

Are any of these things happening?

I'm under the suspicion it is some type of mouse/trackpad setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely nothing happens. The pic highlights, and un-highlights as soon as cursor is off. No "no go" icons, nothing at all. I can drag other things around outside of lightroom, so I'd be hard pressed to suspect trackpad/mouse issue, but I'm open to any suggestions.

I read in an offhand comment somewhere that sometimes using the cleanup softwares can dispose of files that can affect Adobe functions, and I recently started using "Clean My Mac" for a second, it found like 50 superfluous GB (supposedly) and deleted 500 MB after which it told me that I had to pay $30 to do the rest, at which point I deleted the application with a mental middle finger. Is it possible that this program deleted something important?

My initial reason for wiping my HD the other day was because my computer was acting uncharacteristically slow, which I think I could track down to when LR was running, and I just read in another post that two folks here are having an issue I think LR eating up all of the computer's memory. This may have also been happening to me, but I didn't know that there was a way to track each application's activity until reading that.

Basically, why the heck has LR all of a sudden become such a damn headache after years of working perfectly????

Thanks for your replies Just Shoot Me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe chat won't help me because they don't want to stand behind their non-current product, they say that I need to come here for support, but thus far no one has been able to shed light on this issue.

Please, can anyone advise a course of action?

For an update, I can move files in finder, but not in LR. I reinstalled it, didn't help. Preference file deleted over and over, nothing...

Does Adobe read this stuff? 'Cause it's starting to really stink that they don't seem to give a darn about their customers.

Excuse my verbal frustration but this is really disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now my posts won't show up in the form queue? This is a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever get a solution to this? I am experiencing the same thing waribu​ and I'm losing my mind, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines