• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building my first workstation, need Hardware suggestions!

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to get into Motion Graphics professionally and I'm looking to invest in my first workstation but i would like to be able to play new demanding games as they come out as well. The programs i am running the most and i want to optimize most for, are After Effects CC, Illustrator CC, Photoshop CC and Cinema 4D. I'm not savvy at all when it comes to hardware though so here i am!

My setup for the last few years has been the same and it's been used mostly for Gaming.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.50 GHz, 4 cores

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3

RAM: 12 GB

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

HDD: 1TB WDC

PSU: CoolerMaster SilentProM 1000W

What would you all recommend i should keep (if any) and what should i replace? I have a budget of around a thousand euros.

Thanks in advance and apologies if the topic is tiring for people but speaking for myself i am at a loss since i am just starting out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say you need an i7 processor minimum.  Your RAM is a little low for my liking but I assume you could add to this later.  Make sure that 1TB drive is 7200rpm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps i phrased the whole thing wrong. That is not the build i intend on buying. It's what i have at the moment for the last few years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok ... so now we are understandin each other, never the less what I've said earlier would be my recomendation for you.
- As a minimum 16GB - but 32 or even 64 would be better (DDR4)
- i7 CPU
- 240gb ssd for system
- some hdds for backups and files
- some ssd's for cache files and other stuff that neet fast read/write

- f.eg. geforce 1060 or something better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for replying. From what i read around the web, i knew i'd need an i7 cpu, a bigger SSD and a better GPU. I was just hoping for specifics

As in which CPU/GPU most suits my needs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We does not know your needs so we can't tell you what exactly would be best for you. And - what is quite important - what is your budget. I gave you some specs that are best for workiong now and pretty extensive upgradimng in the future but what you will put togethet - depend's on you. for i7-3820 that cost $250 - or even something cheaper, but you can also put there i7-6950X (10 ciores and 20threads) that costs $1,700, you can put 16 GB of ram, but on professional motherboard with chipset that i've recommended you before - you can put 128GB of ram.

So ... tell us what kind of work are you making, what is your budget... and then we could be able to recommend you something specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already mentioned my budget and my needs in my original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've moved this thread to the Hardware Forum so that you may get more suggestions from those that participate there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... you can build that computer but if you are talkiong about professional work - I would recommend something better.
Now you've chosen older architecture that uses older processors and older Ram DD3.
In my opinion the best bang for the buck for professional work for you would be:
-motherboard with X99 chipset and 8 slots for ram memory
- CPU on 2011-3 socket
- DDR4 ram
- if you will instal your operating system on SSD - 120 gb can become little bit to small

Those are not to cheap parts but that is - for now - best base for start and really huge upgrades after your needs will grow. F.eg. you can start with cheapest 2011-3 CPU and 16GB of ram - in one piece, and as a maximum in 1-2 years upgrade it to most powerfull -for now - Intel I7 with 10 cores and 20 threads, and put 128 GB of ram in it.
With your build you are building something that frim start is a little bit behind technology trends and with your needs growing you will not be able to upgrade to much and you will be forced to sell that computer (or give it to your younger brothyer and built something new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines